Metroid Mix

Dyne

I've been playing around with this for the last few days, I'm trying to come up with something solid, but I'm having trouble. I figured I'd at least put this out there for others to hear.

http://www.williammichael.net/music/randomness/metroid_mix.mp3 <--- first WIP

- this was pretty basic, just messing around at first, was going to do this one for a Flikomp

http://www.williammichael.net/music/randomness/metroid_mix2.mp3 <--- second WIP

- i got serious, and started adding things here, not satisfied in the least

http://www.williammichael.net/music/randomness/metroid_mix3.mp3 <--- third WIP

- went back, rearranged the playlist in FL Studio. gave it a more natural progression of sorts, not done with it, but I'm pretty sure it's going to come together cohesively at this point

http://www.williammichael.net/music/randomness/metroid_mix4.mp3 <--- fourth WIP

- went back again, added some elements from the Brinstar 2 theme, played a bit with some dynamics, I need to polish the drums a bit, and change them completely from their loopy selves

I could use some feedback, as well as ideas.

Hm... Best I can say this early is that it needs more bass and the individual notes should be more clear. That's the feedback I can give you.

As for ideas, think about what you wanna say with this. Imagery. It's something that works great if you come up with it early on, but is much harder to incorporate once you have several minutes of nice music already done. Once you have an image, animate it, and see how the music could illustrate it.

As I see it, this is a typical hero running in the rain, or hero fighting random enemies music. It'll either end triumphantly, epically, or in a bigger fight/action sequence. See what you can build from that.

Your nchoice of instruments and genre makes it an interesting take on the source track, one I'm not that fond of, but it could turn out pretty neat regardless. See what you can do, and good luck.

Not gonna go into details as this is pretty early. Towards the end, things start sounding decent, because there you're using drums+pad+bleeps+bass. Before then, it was a bit sparse, only bass and drums, or lead and drums.

It sounds like you're fairly new to the remix process, but there's hope for you. Start off simple, using the pads for texture and the bass and drums for rhythm, and add a real lead to play melody. Then develop things from there.

This ain't so bad. Dunno if I noticed it before, but the intro does take the piece from 16ths to 8ths, so even tho I'm not a fan of the wave and filtering, I do like the result. Yeah, looking forward to your 10th wip here, tho it may take a while. :D

As for being cohesive, it's too short to say. For me anyway. :P

I added another WIP. I borrowed some elements from the Brinstar 2 theme, rearranged some things, removed one of the melodies. Touched up the dynamics a bit, but I need to program better drum patterns.

Otherwise, it's a bit longer, but not by much.

WIP#4:

I hear how this _could_ turn out cool, but now it's a cacophony of simple waveforms and obnoxious drums. You change key when the song starts, yet the bass plays in another key. Basic music theory (according to Rozovian): start with the white keys on the piano, don't touch the black ones. In terms of sequencing, avoid everything that ends with #. (Except with sequenced drums.)

Practically, start both the lead and the bass from the same note the intro starts. Sound better? Transpose (move up/down) everything to fit this "key". Sound better?

Honestly, this ain't good, man. A step in the wrong direction, musically, but it's a learning process, so don't get your hopes down. I'm still looking forward to your 10th wip here. :D

WIP#4:

I hear how this _could_ turn out cool, but now it's a cacophony of simple waveforms and obnoxious drums. You change key when the song starts, yet the bass plays in another key. Basic music theory (according to Rozovian): start with the white keys on the piano, don't touch the black ones. In terms of sequencing, avoid everything that ends with #. (Except with sequenced drums.)

Practically, start both the lead and the bass from the same note the intro starts. Sound better? Transpose (move up/down) everything to fit this "key". Sound better?

Honestly, this ain't good, man. A step in the wrong direction, musically, but it's a learning process, so don't get your hopes down. I'm still looking forward to your 10th wip here. :D

You're a cacophony of simples waveforms and abnoxious drums :P

Alex, you don't have to comment on everything. Remember how DarkeSword got upset with you on his wip here some time ago? Remember why?

Dyne, I should probably mention, depending on what key you're in, the "no #" solution isn't necessarily applicable, unless you transpose everything to fit it. Well, except drums, but they sound like a loop.

But save your file, then move notes up or down and see if it fits better with the rest of the music.

We'll see how everything pans out with this. Honestly, this is my first effort at a remix in about four years. Still, this is going much better than before. I'll take it to heart to work on transposing these into their proper keys. right now I'm just trying to get my ideas down, and then work on how it's going to sound.

Still, I really do need the advice. And don't worry, I'm not going to drop the bombs on you guys for critiquing my mix. If I was, I wouldn't have made the post to begin with.