chiptunes music through real instruments (Guitar/Bass)

LowFatCannibal

I've seen this done a bit before, but myself and a bassist friend of mine are interested in starting a chiptunes band played with real instruments (guitar/bass). My original thought was to pipe both instruments through something like Guitar Rig and 8 bit VSTs like Toad or Triforce, but I'm sure there are better ways. Any help?

Well, currently the methods I've been looking at are:

-MIDI pickups (Roland mainly)

-Square wave synth pedals (I'm a bit lost and miffed here since I have no idea what is good)

MIDI pickups are obviously the more expensive option since then I'll need a GR-20 or something to put the MIDI singal through and process it.

Since this is really a sort of concept stage I'd rather go with a cheap option incase it doesn't work out so I'm looking at synth pedals, any advice?

This sounds awesome. I would like to know how to do this. I never use my neck pickup anyway - So, you have a MIDI pickup and a processor of some sort? It would be cool if you could switch between your standard sound and 8-bit synthesized sound.

No but this is what I want to do. Pickup/Processor seems far too expensive just for a dabbling in this area and I'll only do that if this two piece works out, I need a cheap solution for now.

No but this is what I want to do. Pickup/Processor seems far too expensive just for a dabbling in this area and I'll only do that if this two piece works out, I need a cheap solution for now.

I'd be willing to shell the cash out for a midi pickup. I wouldn't mind throwing in some "8-bit" sounds here and there during a live show. If you find out a cheap alternative, please let me know. I have a cheap guitar that's just begging for this.

Both using some kind of bitcrush distortion (be sure to play clean, loads of clean harmonics!) and triggering MIDI is possible.

As Tensei said, when you're recording and making songs, functions such as Logic's "Convert audio to score" works very well, but it doesn't work live at all.

Something I don't really understand though is why you're choosing guitar+bass when you want to start a straight-up chiptune band. It will always be near impossible (and if possible, lossy and inconvenient) to get the chiptune sound and I bet you have to invest a lot of money. Could you perhaps explain why a bit further?

Chiptune shows can get boring [sorry wizwar and virt!], when it's just one guy with LSDJ looking at a gameboy for the whole set [and of course the occasional fist raise or head bop]. When you add live instruments into the mix, it's like an actual concert that way.

absolutely, I'm all for that and I'm doing it myself. but playing it only with REAL instruments? :/