Jenova Remix

ShinnyMetal

Shinny, shinny, shinny... Nobody commented on this for days?

Strings are a bit too pad-like. More reverb might work. Pizzicato sounds nice. I like the clean sound this has, tho around 1:40, you've got some mixing issues, the instruments are competing for exposure. Work on the mix there a bit, it's muddy.

I'd drop the right-panned bell a few dB, it's bright enough to be heard anyway.

Use a shorter fade-out, and end the file earlier. :P

Anyway, it's got a nice progression, no doubt there's source enough in this, it might be too close (but I'll leave that to someone else to figure out). Instrument choices are cool, arrangement pretty. It's nice, and I think this is one of the prettiest wips I've heard in a while. Nice job!

aaah, another jenova mix... is there anything better? :razz: i really like how you chose to do something different with this oldie but goodie. but while i think it sounds very melotic and good, i have to agree with Rozovian that it might be a little too close to the original. but one other thing I'd like to point out is that, everything sounds slightly similar, kinda like a steady march. i'm a very firm believer in taking a few turns here and there and having variety in music. if there isn't you might find that your listeners might get bored half way through. anyway that's just my opinion (i'm no expert). I love what's happening so far and good luck with finishing

• 2 weeks later...

Shinny, how did this happen? Weeks without a reply. What did you do? Right, you remixed a track everyone's heard so many versions of. But it's okay, I'm here now. :P

I'd use more reverb on the strings and the flute.

From 0:59 forward, you should establish the rhythm that the bells bring at 1:13, and the drums later on, they're all kind'a playing to their own rhythm. Make them play along.

You should drop the bells somewhere during the calm mid section 1:43-2:57. That's a pretty long calm section anyway, you could try to shorten it. it would sound awesome if you'd drop the tempo a bit for that section and go back to the current tempo during the last section.

Anyway, the sound you've got now is more realistic, but less pretty. It feels more generic. Then again, the production is better enough to bring out another issue: progression. It's nice, what's you've got, but it's the same old progression we've all heard before. I don't think this is gonna stand out, it needs something extra, like having its progression backwards. The order of the sections I mean, not the melodies or the whole track. You could start with the section you had last, work your way through the calm section to a climactic finish, then have it die out. Just an idea. Backup before experimenting.

Still, it has potential, but you're gonna have to work hard to get it to the level the FF7 project got it.

sounds good to me...I'll try some of those things out...how ever...reason is completely incapable(welll...reason 3 that is)of tempo changes by it's self and my computer sucks to much to rewire...I wish it could cause I want to do some tempo stuff with this song...well...thanks for the critigue

• 2 weeks later...

Man, you're popular. :D

I was gonna use the feedback checklist for this, but I realized the problems that I'm hearing are either not on the list, or they're all related to the same problem, somewhere in between two items.

Anyway, it's repetitive and that makes it a little dull. Play it backwards part of the time, change the key signature, play it half-tempo, do something to vary it more. Instrumentally, an orchestra has woodwinds, brass, strings, and percussion, each with their own uses and areas. Change the soundscape more according to the sound you feel is appropriate for the progression...

...and speaking of progression... Change it. You have a few crazy ideas listed above. We've all heard this progression before, not all the nuances your remix has, but other versions with other nuances. Make yours special by mixing it up somehow. Change the order of the parts, change... something. Move the bass to the bells and the bells to the bass, play it backwards, take a cool chord progression and apply it to some part of the wip. See what happens.

Do remember to take a backup before doing anything drastic.

Overall, it's good, but not good enough. Keep working, you're doing great.