USB microphones?

Fullness of the tone? Sound quality? Dude, it's a mic. Every mic sounds different. To compare this mic to a mic jack one you'd need to take this USB mic, record something, rebuild it into a mic jack mic and record something again, then compare the recordings. The sound quality and fullness of the tone is all up to the mic, not how you connect it. For me, since I don't have a pre-amp, using a USB mic is a lot better because I don't have to worry about what my soundcard does to the mic's signal.

Hard to say unless I listen to it.

And yeah, don't get the Samson one if you're in a noisy room. Even a refridgerator seems to be too much for it. Samson has a cheaper, dynamic variant that should fit you better, but there's no real reason to believe the sound will be any better than with your Behringer one (not needing a mixer table would be nice, but since you already have one...). I've had others tell me that Behringer stuff is crap, but I can't really tell what's good and what isn't. I can tell when there's noise, but all that talk about "fullness of tone" is lost on me. You can fix stuff like that with post production anyway. Noise is a bit more tricky. As far as I can tell, if I used the C01U in a studio, there wouldn't be any noise at all. Can't say that about my old AKG karaoke piece of shit.

Maybe I should have gotten one of these intead... the C01U has a pattern that covers both the front and and the back (though less at the back), it might help being able to record from only one direction. My problem right now is my PSU though - it's running its fan at top speed constantly. Must have been built before auto fan speed was invented...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone ever used one? What are they like? Do you need pre-amps to use them, can the volume be boosted without lots of noise being added, is there latency to worry about, basically, is there anything wrong with a good one except for the fact that you can't plug it into anything else than a computer?

If I don't have a pre-amp, and there's a pretty good mic that comes in USB and regular editions for the same price, would I be better off buying the USB edition the regular one?

What I use is a condenser mic with a long XLR cable, a preamp from MicMate (brand of a USB mic preamp) and the proper USB connection between preamp and PC (same as a USB cable for some printers like HP).

The problem is that many of us (at least me) are often on the move and won't always have consistent access to enough outlets or space to store equipment. Since USB microphones are self-powered and go right to the machine, that saves an enormous amount of hassle.

Well, I just noticed that the sample rate and word length is fixed. 44.1 and 16 are pretty standard, but all pro applications have higher ones available. Is there a conceivable case where I might want numbers greater than those indicated?

Whoops, sorry for the late response on this. For most purposes you don't need higher than 44.1/16, so I wouldn't worry about it.