USB microphones?

Has anyone ever used one? What are they like? Do you need pre-amps to use them, can the volume be boosted without lots of noise being added, is there latency to worry about, basically, is there anything wrong with a good one except for the fact that you can't plug it into anything else than a computer?

If I don't have a pre-amp, and there's a pretty good mic that comes in USB and regular editions for the same price, would I be better off buying the USB edition the regular one?

I personally use this USB mic and have been very happy with it. Just plugs directly into computer's USB port (no pre-amp needed). No problems boosting gain here, which is done through the normal windows volume controls.

I'll second this. And actually, it was zircon that recommended this mic to me, since it is the same on that pixietricks uses.

Haha :nicework:

Great beatburp (/boxburp?). Yeah, this is sounding nice, and it seems very handy to just plug it into the USB port... did you need isolation of any kind, I mean, does it pick up a lot of stuff from around you, do you need a very silent environment? Do you have a very silent computer when recording this? I'm just curious.

It's fairly good at noise reduction, and also very good at picking things up. For example, if I almost kill the thing, and someone is quietly watching TV, and I record, and crank up the amp, I can clearly hear the TV... Takes a bit of level adjusting, but those are both recorded with my noisy desktop running in the background

Cool. What's the difference between this one and the C03U or the Q1U? My dad's going to Hong Kong tomorrow, I was hoping he could pick one up there (the C01U is roughly $140 where I live, the C03U a little more and the Q1U a bit less). Do you need a pop screen? I noticed after recording with my current mic that it stopped working, I opened it and it was wet inside. I'd only been using it for a few minutes. Are dynamic mics better at handling that?

Well, the mic has it's own kinda built-in pop filter. I have trouble making it hiss without the pop filter, but a kit is usually the best way to go. This is what I ordered: http://cgi.ebay.com/Deluxe-Samson-CO1U-Podcast-PAK-KIT-USB-C01U-Microphone_W0QQitemZ320225343831QQihZ011QQcategoryZ133012QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It shipped quickly, got here in the number of pieces it was supposed to, and works like awesome.

RE: Noise. It is, of course, best to get a quiet room. (I will usually take my mic upstairs and plug it into my laptop to record)

Sheesh, $60 S&H... that's $190 for the whole thing. Really nice deal for the package if it wasn't for the shipping. I wonder if I could find the same thing for less anywhere in Europe. I could wait and see if the dollar drops even lower...

EDIT: Wow, just the mic and a shock mount alone is over $200 here. And that's without the pop filter, the cable, the boom stand and SONAR. If dad doesn't have any luck over in Chinaland I think I'll get one.

How long can the USB cable be? I mean, if you use an extension, so the cable's like 15 feet long, does the thing still work?

• 2 weeks later...

So... it's almost here... maybe I'll be able to pick it up right after work, if I'm lucky. According to the postal tracking service, the package weighs a whopping 9 pounds! :shock:

EDIT: Well, what do you know, I come home, check my mailbox, and sure enough, there's a note there telling me to pick it up at the post office. But when I get there, they tell me the package hasn't arrived yet! Arrghh!

So, I got back to the post office on my bike, only to find the package to be almost as tall as myself. Lol. Also the clerk told me it'd arrived just when I'd left the previous time. *smacks forehead* Sooo... it works well. But holy shit it picks up noise. I need to replace my current computer setup with something more silent, this thing picks up every little thing in the house, it's like recording stuff with my own ears!! Dad's built a super silent computer for mom, I'm gonna ask him what it's made up of and replace some parts on my own computer. The power supply fan is the big bad guy here, I think the cpu and gpu fans are ok, but a more silent case might still be worth looking into.

Here's a sample: http://www.ngst.nu/itsworking.mp3

EDIT: Is there no way to get the computer to play back what I'm recording, live? Do I really have to record stuff not knowing what it sounds like and then wait to hear it until after I'm done recording? That's a huge backdraw if it's true.

EDIT 2: Ahem. I can get it to play back live in Sonar LE... I guess that's good enough. I thought the latency was fixed at first though, glad to see I could reduce it to 10 ms. Now all I need to do is replace that damned PSU...

The mic came with an excellent little tripod that was not part of the deluxe package, it came in the same box with the mic. You should be fine with that. Since I got the deluxe package, I got a pop screen for it, but I can try getting up close to the mic and show you what it sounds like without the pop screen. Can't say whether a windscreen will actually help though, those are best used to keep wind out, and unless you're going to use the thing outdoors, it might not help you a lot.

EDIT: If I'm close enough to the mic to cause pops, I'm also close enough to make it overload and distort. You don't need to be that close to the mic, it picks up your voice just fine anyway. Unless you're going to use the mic outdoors, you don't need a windscreen as far as I can tell. I don't know how good that windscreen is at popstopping, but the one I've used doesn't help at all, it just stops wind. Your money is better spent on a pop screen (if you need to be close for whatever reason) or a shock mount (I noticed the vibrations from my computer caused a low buzz when I put the mic directly on my desk).

Uh... well. You don't need a pre-amp, because the thing gets its power through the USB port. You can use any sound card you want, it makes no difference whatsoever (hell, you don't even need a sound card, but it'd be nice to have one if you want to know what the recording you just made sounds like). The noise level stays the same with any computer, and from what I can tell, it's very low, the only noise I'm getting (which is loud, but that's not the mic's fault) seems to be coming from my own computer. I'm going to try this thing with a silent computer and make a recording of that and let you be the judge. To get something that sounds this good with a mic jack, you'd need to spend some more buck on other stuff that you don't need now that it's plugged into the USB. On the downside, you can't use the thing with anything but a computer, and it's not very useful for live performances.