ATTN Artists: Okami art contest at DeviantArt (deadline 4/30)

Liontamer

"Residents of Quebec are eligible to compete but are not eligible for prizes"

Wow this is sooo wrong.... Hello discrimination or what?

Why can't we win the prize on wait wait let me take a guess... " 'cause we speak French too!? I can hardly believe that but isn't it the only difference? Could someone Really explain me in Legalese why Quebec is so often left out in this matter (Contests)?

Every time there's a Pan-Canadian Contest Quebec's always left behind...Why that? I really can feel the love of Canada's Bi-cultural and bilingualism. *sarcasm*

Oh and lastly, just in case, Please leave your French-bashing at the door step. I love Canada and it's two main cultures;)

This is the best I could find: http://www.free-news-release.com/The-burning-issue-of-Quebec-s-exclusion-from-North-American-contests--Detail_1302.html

From what I can gather, Quebec contest laws are different than everywhere else, and requires the contest promoters go through an approval process and pay the Quebec government to run it. Basically, the Quebec government wants to make things more difficult than they have to be as usual.

Anywho, looks like a cool contest. If I could still draw worth a damn I'd probably enter.

Would explain some of my relatives moving out of quebec, and their bashing it lol... Also I recall on a BBC special there were alot of french nationalism to where it forced every sign to be written in French, no english writ on the signs... Quebec's multicultural my ass >:/

The French women are fine though... :)!!

Would explain some of my relatives moving out of quebec, and their bashing it lol... Also I recall on a BBC special there were alot of french nationalism to where it forced every sign to be written in French, no english writ on the signs... Quebec's multicultural my ass >:/

The French women are fine though... :)!!

Actually, signs can have english writing, it just has to be smaller than the french writing. I've seen at least one news story where a store owner didn't abide by that law and had both sets of writing the same size in an english community no less, and when he refused to pay the fine of something like $1,000 or $2,000 dollars the Quebec government seized his truck, a couple of ATV's and a snowmobile. All of which had a value well in excess of the fine, and when the story aired he still hadn't gotten them back, despite changing his signs and paying the fine I believe. I think his community even banded together to raise enough money to get him a truck to replace the one he had seized. I recall another time where I read that they wanted to pass a law forcing flights passing over Quebec to use French as well, even if the flight wasn't landing anywhere near Quebec or something like that.

I have nothing against French-Canadians, or the people of Quebec, but some things the Quebec government tries to pull are ridiculous and even border on discrimination some of the time.

Also, agreed on French women.

So hey going back on topic,

Considering it's sponsered by Capcom as well as Deviantart, and having seen some art on Okami before the contest ever came around... I'm semi-worried what art would result from it. On the one hand, you'll have some amazing works, on the other... you're gonna see some bad "shipping" seemingly done by 10-16 year olds...