Liontamer

Remixer: Leif

leiftaylor@gmail.com

(no website)

Mix name: Run Ryu Run

Ninja Gaiden II

Parasprinter Theme

Comments:

This mix combines electronic drums, orchestra and guitar to create some sort of a ninja dance mix. Most of the sequencing was done in Reason 3 then imported into Sonar for the EWSQL Tracks. Guitar was added last via a PodXT.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ninja_g2.zip - Track 1

Aight, so I heard this a while back on the 3/21 episode D-Lux's streaming radio show, Very Good Music. Here's my comments (and others) on the track as they heard it:

<+Larry> Kind of empty

<+Larry> I like the arrangement ideas

<+Larry> beats are kind of boring

<+Larry> Guitar is OK, but too dry

<+Larry> where's the beef

<+sixto> this guitar needs EQ

<+starla> hey i said needs moar eq

<+Larry> Yeah, the guitar had 0 body

<+starla> too smuffled

<@CHz> Wait, there was a guitar in there?

<+Moguta> Needed more of the melody

<+sixto> 0% body

<@CHz> Couldn't hear it.

What happened, man? This was empty as all get-out.

Heard the source tune used lots of times, but it was generally too quiet despite it usually being the focus. As I said, I was definitely feeling the arrangement ideas a lot. Everything fit like a glove there. But the execution was lacking due to the bland beatwork and otherwise dry, empty textures. You gotta flesh this one out, Leif; it'd be criminal not to.

NO (resubmit)

Haha I had three of the instrument channels disabled when I was listening to the source tune and was thinking, "man, I don't remember this game's music being so minimal." :tomatoface:

This starts off pretty well, but around 0:36, the problems started to show. The soundscape is very thin - the drums should be heavier for how much it builds up. I'd have liked to hear some parts in the lower mid-ranges too. Again at 0:55, it ramps up, but doesn't deliver. The drums that come in there are weak, though at least there are more instruments filling in the spaces. 0:59 was a strange, abrupt retread back to being quiet. Overall, your ideas are good (I loved the scratching section) but I'd like to see more energy and filling of the soundfield. Some heavier, more complex drum patterns could make this one.

I thought your production was pretty good, though sometimes the instruments were too soft or too loud. I'd love to see you play with this one a bit and resubmit it. There's a lot of good ideas here that just need some help in execution.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Sounds like it's amplified through a cardboard tube. It's pretty muffled. I like the scratches, but the rest of the song sounds kind of empty, especially around 1:33. There's a lead there somewhere, but it's so nebulous sounding. :( Guitar stuff after that sounds really lo-fi.

There's a lot of sparseness in this mix; aside from the guitar, everything is pretty weak and subdued sounding. Try for a bigger sound (open chords, meatier bass, etc)

NO, resub