*NO* Ultima 9 'Stones (Piano Mix)'

Liontamer

Hi there,

I would like to upload this piano remix of the song "Stones" to your archive.

It's from the Ultima Series.

Here are the infos:

Contact Information

* Your ReMixer name: Dustin Naegel

* Your real name: Dustin Naegel

* Your email address: abnaegel@t-online.de

* Your website: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=674265

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged: Ultima IX: Ascension

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Stones"

* Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site):

Ultima IX: Ascension (1999) is the ninth and final part of the computer role-playing game series Ultima.

Following the Avatar's escape from Pagan, he is transported back to Britannia for one final battle with the Guardian, who is increasingly ruining the physical and moral fabric of that land. He must restore the Runes of Virtue, cleanse the shrines of the Guardian's taint, and restore the people to the way of the Virtues — now knowing that he will never again be able to return to Earth. (wikipedia.org). The song "Stones" was composed by Lolo Watson.

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the source tune link! Glad to see you submit to RPGamer; they've always been great venue for musicians who want to show their support of game music.

Ultima IX: Ascension (Game Rip) - (01) "Stones"

Well, not that it's a contest of production, but the recording quality of the arrangement did pale considerably to the source tune. Not a big deal though. It wasn't pristine, but it was certainly serviceable.

Well, this was basically a pretty faithful piano transcription with some standard (and ultimately repetitive) piano embellishments. There was nothing particularly unique about this piano adaptation that allowed it to stand apart from the original on a personalized level.

Repeated the structure at 2:09. The dynamics of the track were OK, though I felt like I basically kept hearing the same type of stuff from the left hand performance during much of the near-4 minutes.

It was certainly a nice arrangement, Dustin, very capably performed and cool for what it was, possessing at least some interpretive value. But keeping the OCR Standards in mind and what we're looking for, this wasn't a particularly interpretive or unique treatment of the source material, IMO.

Besides the criticisms on repetition, you've got to be willing to get more interpretive with something central like the melody, and/or consider weaving in more original writing ideas.

NO

Larry's pretty much got it. There was a section that I think was entirely new that fit nicely into the existing song (1:16-2:09), but the sections that were similar to the original were very similar. The right-hand part is pretty close to unchanged. The left-hand part sounded original but played almost the same way the entire song, changing with the chord. I did like your performance though, and I think you gave the song a smooth dynamic curve.

The recording could have been fuller and towards the end, there's a loud section where it clips. But before you re-record, I think you have to take a look at the arrangement and give it more detail and variation; more personalization along the lines of the section you wrote, but in the source sections. Give it another shot!

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...