Blasted by Rock and Bramble (DKC 2 rock version)

I'm a bit hesitant to post this because it definitely isn't quite up to par with a lot of what I have heard on here, but I will never learn if I don't get some advice, eh?

http://www.myspace.com/incineratordrone

It is the one at the bottom.

This is only the second song I have ever recorded real guitars on seriously, and the first I actually arranged and recorded guitars on, so I think it turned out pretty good overall, for a total NOOB.

I'm not planning on submitting it or anything (actually I'm pretty done with it, I need to get back to my own stuff,) just wanted some feedback... what was done right, what was done wrong (though I probably know what SOUNDS wrong, more like... how do I fix it?) and how interesting the entire arrangement overall is, etc.

Pretty nice actually, a good interpretation of a rock arrangement of this song, transition at 1:08 is a little muddy, you could possibly either change or cut some of the harmonies at this point. note at about 1:56 sounds a little off, even if it does resolve... Stick around here, we can always use another good live guitarist. I'm sure that if you keep going with it then you'll get lots of people asking for your skills. Good length on this song too.

Yeah I don't really understand a lot of this stuff, I'm winging it. The lead guitars I would have one left and one right but the rhythm was just one guitar and I kept it in the middle. I actually recorded two and tried a one L one R thing but they were both essentially doing the same thing and it sounded cleaner without the other one.

It's very possible I somehow lost the panning, I don't fully understand this stuff. For instance, if you record something in stereo and then use it as a wav in another recording, does it lose the stereo? I ended up having to kind of mini-mix some parts into wav and then use those wavs in the final mix because my Orion was all blah blah blah out of memory... come on Orion, I only had like TWENTY TRACKS RUNNING AT ONCE.

It seems to me like almost everything is directly in the center? As if everything was recorded and no panning was really done.

That may be why the guitar sounds so muddy. Rhythm guitar especially -- did you pan the tracks left/right?

Stick around here, we can always use another good live guitarist. I'm sure that if you keep going with it then you'll get lots of people asking for your skills.

Wuh... buh... confused?! Almost everyone I hear on here is MUCH better on guitar than I am! Then again I mostly only hear the accepted tracks, I guess a lot of the not-accepted ones might be sketchier.

Anyway I'm kind of trying to focus on my original music project at the moment, it might be awhile before I crack back into the video game remixing. Though I do already have a short Zelda rock tabbed out. HMM.

Rule of thumb with rhythm guitar:

Record one track, pan it left. Record the exact same track over again (don't just record one, copy and paste) and pan it right. If you want a MONSTER sound, record it 4 times and pan left/right/50% left/50% right, but in most cases you can get away with two tracks. For hard rock and metal, there's almost no way to get by without doing this.

For solo/lead work, there's a few things you can do. One track in the center, or when harmonizing two tracks to the center (you can always halve it like I do, and one track 35% left and the harmonizing lead 35% right (or vice versa, doesn't matter).