Help with chorus/verse/bridge and else

Sort of embarrassing that a non-musical friend of mine knew something about music that I didn't know. I don't think it's a big deal at all, but apparently knowing what a verse and chorus is is a huge deal.

Can someone give me a quick tutorial of what they are? Thanks. My friend's and wiki's definitions were worthless. Ok so the chorus repeats and the verse doesn't I guess... That really doesn't seem to be that important to know. I would like a more musical savvy explanation of what they are. Thanks

Well a song consists of verses, and one unifying chorus that keeps playing after verses. For instance: Rap music. A chorus would usually be considered as a hook, or the part of the song that is played twice or three, maybe even four times.

Example:

A verse would be written lines for a rap that would change everytime the chorus came around.

It usually goes:

Verse

Chorus

Verse

etc.

but sometimes there are exceptions with two verses in a row and then a chorus.

All choruses are mainly the same, and they come multiple times in a song.

And so on. It is kind of hard to explain now that I think about it, but a very simple music concept.

Did I help?

Let me elaborate on what Kyle just said.

The verse is the changing part of a song, usually not as intense as the chorus. Their lyrics are different every time.

The chorus is therepeated "theme" of the song, usually with the same lyrics, usually more intense than the verse.

The bridge is a deviating part of the song, essentially an additional couple of lines of chorus or a short verse to other chords and with another melody.

Usually, songs are laid up like this:

Intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-end Note that in some songs, there are repeated verses, a song can end with a bridge or verse, have no intro, have the chorus as intro, etc.

Just listen to some commersial music (with lyrics!) and you should hear the difference easily.

Ok this is mainly the type of music I listen to.

I also listen to lots of other stuff, but compared to my friend who introduced me this idea of the chorus, verse, and bridge, I

don't listen to as much. For most of the time, I refer to music as a whole as "riff 1" "riff 2" "solo" "riff 1" and stuff like

that. I think this will be a good exercise to try and find the chorus and stuff.

Can you guys help me identify the parts in this song? thanks.

8 x 4/4 for the intro

now at :18 - 8 x 4/4 for this part

now at :37 - 8 x 4/4 for thus part

now at :55 - 4 x 4/4 vamp up thing

now at 1:04 - 4 x 4/4 without vocals

now at 1:14 - 8 x 4/4 with vocals

now at 1:32 - 8 x 4/4 for this part

now at 1:51 - 6 x 4/4 for this part

now at 2:05 - 3 x 4/4 which is part of the same riff as the one at :18

now at 2:12 - 3 x 2/4 for this part

now at 2:15 - 8 x 4/4 for this part same riff as 1:14

now at 2:33 - 4 x 4/4 filler part?

now at 2:42 - 8 x 4/4 for this part

now at 3:01 - 9 x 4/4 guitar solo

now at 3:20 - 8 x 4/4 keyboard solo

now at 3:38 - 3 x 2/4 for this part same as part 2:12

now at 3:40 - 8 x 4/4 for this part

which parts are the chorus, verse, ect? Thanks

A lot of prog-influenced stuff is pretty hard to break down that way. In that Children of Bodom song, I would call the 1:14 part the verse and say it doesn't have a chorus. It's pretty debatable what's what in a song like that, because the structure is unusual. If you listen to a lot of music like that, that could be why you find it difficult to pick out verse-chorus-bridge sort of stuff. :< With nearly everything you hear on the radio, it's pretty easy.