Great traditional japanese Video Game Soundtracks

jigenbakuda

Now as I was listening to samurai showdown's (samurai spirits) OST, I noticed how damn good the music was, and also how it was tradaitional japanese music, it was very nice. But then I wondered, how many games have a similar soundtrack (top-notch, plus traditional/current fusion, traditional instruments)? I have ran across a few, but not as good as samurai showdown, IMO, like goemon games and fushigi no dungeon.... but anyone have any other suggestions for great traditional japanese music in video games? (preferably in SNES, but any suggestion would be good).

Funny how I saw this thread right after posing in the Okami one. Get that OST. It's huge though, about 4-5 discs. From reviews, I can see that it is traditionally Japanese music, however, reinvented or infused with other non-traditional instruments and styles. Also, a notable game or series of games would be from Touhou. Imperishable Night, Perfect Cherry Blossom and I'm sure there are at least two more, but I can't think of them now. I don't know how you can directly download them or convert them into mp3 from game files. I just kind of play through the game to listen to them. The main screen of the game also brings you to a sound test area, but you have to have beaten the previous stages to gain the audio track for that level.

Justus Johnson(?) has a remix of one of the songs from Perfect Cherry Blossom. His remix, compared to the original, is slower and more dramatic. The original is more playful and airy.

Funny how I saw this thread right after posing in the Okami one. Get that OST. It's huge though, about 4-5 discs. From reviews, I can see that it is traditionally Japanese music, however, reinvented or infused with other non-traditional instruments and styles. Also, a notable game or series of games would be from Touhou. Imperishable Night, Perfect Cherry Blossom and I'm sure there are at least two more, but I can't think of them now. I don't know how you can directly download them or convert them into mp3 from game files. I just kind of play through the game to listen to them. The main screen of the game also brings you to a sound test area, but you have to have beaten the previous stages to gain the audio track for that level.

Justus Johnson(?) has a remix of one of the songs from Perfect Cherry Blossom. His remix, compared to the original, is slower and more dramatic. The original is more playful and airy.

Thanks a bunch for the tips... But I enjoy playing games with great music, so I'm off to buy okami. I heard too many good things about this game... now I hear its OST is good too, I must buy it.

My pc is not made for gaming So no touhou for me, just so you know there are like 9 touhou games... a lot. I want to play touhou, but I am sure I can not play with a keyboard (even if I could, I would die too fast). I really really really love the touhou remixes from the touhou doujin community (most noticably IOSYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), nico douga is swarming with touhou remixes. Never heard an american one though, just might have to try it out.

As far as downloading the soundtracks from touhou... I have no idea how to do it. But I think you can buy them from doujin conventions (as the creaters of touhou are doujin themselves, if I'm not mistaken), because I've seen at least 1 "pure soundtrack" video for touhou, or at least I thought I did. I sould rip the audio from those videos if I wanyted it bad enough. But I'll just wait until my pc gets an upgrade :)

But once more, thanks a lot for your tips.

Edit: OMFG, I listened to the touhou remix... I am so impressed, it was beyond my expectations. If touhou games had this type of soundtrack... I wish that could be inserted into the games! After hearing that, I am embarrassed about the piece of sh*t I submitted to be judged.... Wow....

Touhou games really aren't that demanding. They're really like old DOS-type games if you ask me. I think that any computer in the last 6 maybe even 8 years should be able to run Perfect Cherry Blossom. My laptop runs it fine and it's only 1.6 ghz, and has 256 mb of ram. I played it even before my RAM upgrade when I only had 128 mb too. Go find a shareware demo and install it. It's easy enough to do.

Pretty sure you could play a Touhou game on anything made in the last 10 years. That said, I wouldn't really say the soundtracks have a particularly traditional Japanese sound to them...there might be influenced, but it's not like the kind of music you'd find in Samurai Showdown or Okami.

No No No, lol, I just do not have a joy stick to play the games with, or a computer video game controller, so the only way to play is with my keyboard, and keyboard x touhou = epic fail.... And I have no way to use the .iso I could download because I have no cd burner. But its cool, I am not worried, I'll play tohou when the time is right :)

So do you know any that sound like samurai showdown? Or was it in a class of it's own?

Touhou games really aren't that demanding.

I thought you were talking about difficultly at first, lol. I thought "have I become that bad of a gamer..."

My how quickly this turned to a touhou thread, not that I mind :)

No No No, lol, I just do not have a joy stick to play the games with, or a computer video game controller, so the only way to play is with my keyboard, and keyboard x touhou = epic fail....

Er, what? That's how most people I know play it. :/

And I have no way to use the .iso I could download because I have no cd burner.

DaemonTools works great.

Er, what? That's how most people I know play it. :/

DaemonTools works great.

Really, thats how most people play it?! I could not imagine playing it on anything but a joystick.... But I guess I will try it. Maybe now is the time for touhou.

DaemonTools? I never heard of it, nothing google/wikipedia can't fix, lol.

Edit: Since we are talking about touhou, anyone played any of the spin offs (ex. megamari or the 2d fighter)?

I thought Advance Wars: Days of Ruin had some pretty solid traditional Japanese music.

Man that was an awesome remix to the "select" theme in advance wars. Why didn't I buy that game? Well I'm loving the suggestions people :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustin viewpost.gif

Onimusha soundtrack

Yeah, Mustin. Let's bring this thread back on target! Whoever mentioned Touhou is stupid anyway. :D

LMFAO LMFAO such an interesting post, lol.