Email: jayson@music4games.net

User ID: 1365

Submission Information:

Game: Ys III

Track: Sealed Time

Composer: Mieko Ishikawa

Soundtrack:

Notes:

"I think all of us have this list of classic tunes that we want to arrange someday. This is one of those tracks. I've tried to arrange it about a half-dozen times in the last 8 years, and this time it just came out without any problems. Strange how that works.

This is the first remix I've finished since 2002. It was tracked in Renoise. I write a lot of original music outside of the video game remixing scene, but I can never seem to finish remixes. I joke about it with my demoscene friends because the only fan mail I ever got was about that damn Ducktales remix! We joke that my obituary is going to say something about Ducktales."

Thanks!

--

Jayson Napolitano

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ys3 - "Sealed Time" (ys3-23.spc)

Catchy original. This went for a lot more ethereal feel, though it's too heavy on the delay. I thought the drums brought in at :38 were a poor fit. They were so dry and upfront, plus the pattern was relatively plain; they didn't fill up the space at all, and the elements didn't click for a good texture.

The sequencing of the strings brought in at 1:16 sounded very robotic/unrealistic, plus I'm not sure why they were only there for 20 seconds. Hopefully they come back. The percussion activity picked up a bit as well with some more progressive cymbal work, but again, I wasn't feeling any synergy from the combination. The drums didn't really lend momentum to the piece more than they inadvertently cluttered up the chillout vibe you have with the foreground.

With 2:33's section, some slight interpretive changes to the lead arrived along with some new harmonization ideas, but there still wasn't any synergy and cohesiveness between the lead, strings, drums, and electrosynth. The bubbly melody really needed more interpretation/variation than what was here; it was too repetitive and on cruise control for too long. It's entirely possible to retain the droning/chill energy level you're going for while varying the melody and keeping things fresh.

So yeah, summing it up, Jayson, more melodic variation and more cohesive instrumental choices and support writing are what this needs to take it to the next level.

I've always been a big fan of your work at M4G. Though you're not there any longer, I'm looking forward to what you've got cooking next as a journalist. But definitely revisit this piece, see if you can approach it from some other angles, and see what happens.

NO

Awwww yeah, Sealed Time. The Oath in Felghana version is wonderful.

Okay, very first thing I notice: those drums at 0:38. The intro is okay, maybe a bit too long without doing enough, but a good setup into something ambient or ethereal like Larry mentioned, but that percussion does not work at all. I don't think the pattern is really the problem, but the sound is so dry as to be completely off with the feel of the track, and they're a bit too far in the foreground. The strings too coming in at 1:16 are too sharp, and then they just leave at 1:36? The low strings at 2:14 fit a bit better, but the synth at 2:33 is pretty rough could use some reverb. None of the instruments really come together.

Pretty repetitive with the melody, and considering how little happens with the rest of the track, more variety there would be good. It doesn't have to be more changes to the source melody; it could also be a new melody entirely that fits in well with the rest of it. Thought 1:14 was a pretty odd way to end that phrase with the melody and bass notes. Same combination comes up later in the mix when the phrase repeats. Also, the ending is kind of abrupt. The bass just cuts out too quickly. Holding it longer and maybe fading it out at the end would be better.

The mix isn't terrible, but the main problem is the cohesiveness, or lack thereof. Right now, this sounds like a bunch of instruments without much regard to how they fit together as a whole. More direction and focus in the arrangement instead of just occasionally bringing in and dropping instruments as development would be a big plus.

NO

Reverb in the opening causes a lot of dissonant clashing in that analog synth. Drums are too dry and exposed as well. A drone is not a viable bassline in this case. Detache strings are out of place in this soundscape and only show up for a little while before disappearing again. There's just not enough going on here. Apeggiators in the second half were welcome, but they just end up going through the motions like everything else.

NO