*NO* Tyrian 'Composition in Bass'

Liontamer

Hi,

I'd like to submit a remix

Contact Info:

Remixer Name: Joey Sun

Mail: admin@joeysun.com (see mail header ;)

Web: http://www.joeysun.com

UID: 23823

Submission Info:

Game: Tyrian

Name: Composition in Bass (Original: Composition in Q)

Comments: Don't try this at home ;)

Submission Link:

Submission Format: MP3, 44.1 Khz, Stereo, 192 kbps CBR

Additional Info:

The Bass MAY sound distorted on lower end audio systems.

The Drums from the Intro WILL sound distorted. This is intended and due to an OD Effect.

The Track was made using FL Studio 8 XXL. The Piano was retranscribed, as the original was an Adlib Sound

and did not provide adequate sound quality.

All Samples are from Image Line's Samplefusion CDs.

Drums: Super Drums 8000

DnB Loops: Sliced Beats

Piano: FL Keys generator

Strings: Orchestral

Joey Sun Material can be downloaded and distributed freely as part of the Creative Commons License

using the following navigation: http://www.joeysun.com -> Download.

Regards

Joey

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I did note the intentional distortion mentioned in the letter, BTW.

Tyrian (Game Rip) - 40 "Composition in Q"

The piano sequencing to start was extremely mechanical-sounding, with the strings at :54 sounding thin, though a tiny bit better in terms of the sequencing. The strings also were practically buried underneath the booming beats and distortion.

By the dropoff at 1:43, I was wondering when the piano melody taken from the source would do anything different, but it finally dropped out at 2:06. The beats added in at 1:55 were a lot flimsier than the other sounds used to intro the piece, and were too loud.

The breakbeats added in at 2:17 sounded lo-fi and pasted on top of the soundscape, and ended up dominating over the other sounds. Everything needs to be rebalanced there, and that's an issue that carried into the rest of the track.

So in short, the piano and string sequencing needs to be improved for a more realistic sound, the parts/instruments needs to be properly balanced. The arrangement felt overlong, considering that it didn't have much more to say after 3:44, so I would have trimmed this down a lot. If you tighten up the aforementioned issues, you'd improve this a fair deal. Regardless though, this would need a lot of work in terms of getting it up and over the bar, as it were.

NO

Piano is way too mechanical. Strings are really thin and the drums have too much treble; the sizzle is washing over the mix and ruining the soundscape. That section around 2:00 attempts to ramp things up, but it falls extremely flat due to the sparseness; there's very little bass and no bassline to speak of. The incessant string drone doesn't help the soundscape either.

Overall everything sounds either lo-fi or unbalanced. The arrangement is pretty boring too; fairly repetitive; it's either the same piano thing over and over again or the same string thing over and over again. The percussion isn't all that dynamic either, considering it's so prominent. :|

NO

• 2 weeks later...

There's some cool ideas in this, but I think in general, it doesn't say enough. The piano figure gets very old by the end, and I really wish you had modified it a little as it went on. Otherwise, the original string writing is not bad, and the drum change-ups are cool. Like Shariq, I think this could have used a bass part to round it out.

Production really needs work. Almost every sample here is too lo-fi. The distortion effects on the drums might sound alright if the samples were fuller and cleaner to begin with. As is, they sound very trebley and don't fill out the soundfield. Piano and strings articulations could use humanization, especially changes in volume. I also think overall the song needs more clarity, more use of EQ.

This one would take a lot of work to pass but the overall interpretation ideas are good. I hope you try to improve your production skills (make use of those WIP forums! :smile: ) and come back to this one, or submit something else to us.

NO