Poor man's gig gear?

So, my band officially broke up recently, and not having gigs or practice anymore, I'm getting bored out of my mind. So I want to get back into gigging. I'm hoping to put together a small collection of easily portable (ie: can be taken on an airplane) inexpensive electronic type stuff. Old ass drum machines, synth modules, the like. Doesn't have to be fancy high tech shit. Just something that can get the job done. Also, I'd like to avoid laptops or any kind of computer if at all possible.

Any suggestions on where to start? I've been thinking of starting with LSDJ, and Korg's DS-10 if and when it becomes available, but that would just be the starting point. I'm also interested in things like Yamaha's QY series, but damn they're expensive.

Basically the idea here is to be able to gig on the cheap, and fly anywhere and take all my gear with me.

Instead of a QY, pick an RM1x. Doesn't cost you anything but loaded with sequencing power and a floppy drive (you need one single floppy and you can store at least 50 tracks). Combine that with a MicroKorg (secondhand). Maybe you can even add a small sampler (SP-404, anything with a CF card). This will give you a full setup with the only drawback that the MK's keys kind of suck.

Desktops are highly impractical for a number of reasons... laptops are a bit better, but still have a host of problems. Unlike hardware synths/workstations, computers can crash, lag, and freeze. They generally have higher latency and are far less durable. Not to mention they rarely play nicely with other audio gear in terms of connectors - you need adapters unless you have an external interface, which just adds even more bulk to the setup.