Sonic 3D Blast(Genesis) - Volcano Valley (act 2)

DrumUltimA

First off, nice choice of song .:nicework:

At about 29 seconds in and for the next 2 or so seconds, it's a little loud. Also on that lead I think it could use a touch of reverb (or a little more than you've got). I also think that there should be somewhat more of a bassline than you've got (perhaps raising the volume on the lower-playing notes would help).

I'm looking forward to this getting longer.

Oh nice transition from the end of the previous version to the new one. I think it's a tad bit loud on the last note (1:45), but it's good. The reverb on the drums is great. At 2:24ish, it gets a little dissonant because the notes are quick - maybe reduce some note lengths there and see what it sounds like. Also, I'm lovin' the style of the piece, especially the newest section (~1:42-2:30). It reminds me of jazz, but with different instruments (play some notes here, more here, a quick burst, more notes, etc...). Keep going with the same style and this will be amazing.

PRODUCTION
[x] Too loud
[x] Low-quality samples

STRUCTURE
[x] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)
[x] Too repetitive

PERSONAL COMMENTS

Well, here you have it folks! The drum sampling and quality at it's finest! Unfortunately I can't say the same about that marimba or whatever that xylophone sounding instrument is.... It sounds too electronic for this style. Also the synth at :30 is a bit out of place IMO... You have this jungle beach sound going on and it makes the song awkward...

Was that slight distortion I was hearing? The instruments sounded a bit loud, you might either want to turn those down a bit or use a soft compressor on them...

When I listened to the song as a whole, I loved it! Only beef I have for overall sound was that I didn't hear as many instrument and dynamic changes as I would have liked. This made the song slightly repetitive... But other than that, you got me hooked! Excellent song choice, Jun Senoue would be proud!

What? That didn't make a whole lot of sense....

Anyway, DrumUltimA, I definitely like where you're going with this. A little critique though...at 2:55, it seems to be dragging out. The three notes you have going in the background are BEGGING to lead into a new section (either a transition of funkiness or just leading into 3:09). I'm looking forward to making the end of the current version less copy pasta :)

Oh, and where's the review you said you'd do? :P

Hey, it's not a problem. :)

Oh, so I don't know if this would work, but it might sound great if you bring in a flute or flute-like instrument to back the lead at 1:54 and throughout until you go back to the main VV theme (and possibly switch it so that the flute is having a solo and the lead becomes the back at some point before returning to the VV theme?). Oh, and I just noticed the "rain" GM-style instrument in a couple places (like at 3:11). Don't hear that too often, and I think it fits (as long as it's not overdone - which it isn't).