[Help] Cant seem to get a good mix going.

It's the minor variations that add up like that. Being a perfectionist, when I write an acoustic drum track, I try to do barely any copy+pasting without changing some stuff afterwards. The accents, velocities, even the minor things like ghost notes and the hi-hat variations all change from measure to measure for me. This would make for a drum track consisting of about 100+ patterns on average, and I just don't see the merit of this vs one long pattern.

I do the exact same thing

Firstly, if you don't know how to read notes, or compose, do you have any interest in music at all? Have you done anything musical in the past? If not, maybe music isn't your thing, and even if it is, I wouldn't suggest starting remixing/composing as your first venture into music.

Well, I played a little bass bout 2 years ago. Drifted away, from music for a while to explore other things. I have always had an interest in music. just been a bit busy with computers and socialy busy. I heard of OCR when i heard VotL. Made me think. I dont have the money for a bass. I would love to make things like this.

Besides my passion for learning about Comp Tech.

So I have had SOME, Experience. I just drifted away. it was maybe even 3 years ago. Im not even sure. i was young. i beleive i was 13, tryed Electric couldnt get the hang of it after a 10-12 months. So I Tryed Bass. I like it and all. Then I got hooked on Computers. im planning on buying a keyboard. Plus my brother plays Electric, Acoustic, Bass, Drums. Keyboard, and can sing. I could have him help me with learning how to read notes possibly.

Hm. Just a Curious Question, If i had a Keyboard. that would make the Piano Roll MUCH easier?

A keyboard and the piano roll are related in the sense that one's put in front of you horizontally and the other's the same thing, only vertical.

Or completely be no need for it?

The piano roll offers you a method of editing. When you want to transpose notes, you can select these and drag 'm up. Without it, you'd have to play everything again.

What Im asking is. What are the key points to having a keyboard?

You can play chords (can't do this with a mouse) and you can turn 2 knobs at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

the way I started learning programs like FL Studio is by taking the demo songs and rewriting

the notes in the piano roll. Familiarize yourself with the sequencer to the right. Try pasting

patterns in a new order within the demo tracks. Monkey See Monkey Do:shock:

I will admit that FL Studio is the easiest to pickup an learn. One day, using this program will

open up like a revelation and all will make sense to you. Do not give up.

Another way to get started....check out the user tutorials on You Tube. :-P

If you are really serious about this, pick up a keyboard. I would go with at least semi-weighted keys. Steer clear from synth action. Most of the budget line synth-action midi keyboard keys stick from my past experience. If you really like the feel of a real piano, go with hammer action, but it will cost you.

I personally get by with a M-Audio Keystation 61es (semi-weighted). I plan on getting a Keystation Pro 88 next time.