Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Goron'

Rom Tom

It's got a good sound to it but it seems kinda dry, content-wise; it needs more variation.

All of the instruments seem...flat for lack of a better vocabulary. Playing around with my equalizer helped, so I think you should do some more of that on your end.

Also, I'm pretty sure "funk" isn't the word you're looking for, this doesn't sound like funk music. Nor is it in any way scented.

I'm not familiar with the source material so I'll focus on the sound only.

I too have a hard time accepting this as really funky music, its got a lot of percussion rhythms, but funk music is more lively and energetic. I can't think off the top of my head what I'd call it though, lol. I'll get back to you if I get any ideas.

This is a very subdued piece so I can see where it might be hard to come up with some more variation, but I'm not sure if that sort of calm background music was what you were going for; if that is the case then it works well. Except that crash, something about it detracts from the over all feeling of the song, I think It might be too loud for this style of music.

At first the piano part seamed a bit quiet, but it did get louder when it played the melody, so I'm not sure where I stand on that one.

Over all, sounds good, keep messing with it!

You'll want an organ or pad, something to fill out the bg. You'll also want to deviate further from source, interpreting it more. You wouldn't want sharp transitions, like at 1:17 and 1:24.You also wouldn't want the crashes to be the loudest instrumenjt in the mix.

Maybe I'm just projecting.

Throwing in the zelda theme was a good thing, and it didn't feel like a filler, it melted in well. Can you write stuff in between that sounds like the goron theme, but really is a transition from that to the drums only section following the theme cameo, something that you could play over the solo bit.

Reusing it after 3:30 seemed more like a move of deperation "I have nothing else to put here!", you might want to make the first iteration of it more of a transition.

You're improving, buddy. There's a lot of interpretation here, but for 4:40, you need more. It gets repetitive, dull, and the mixing needs work. You also need some additional instruments to level out some frequency balance issues, not to mention process stuff better.

Take a backup, play around with reverbs, delays, compression, pan, and volume, see what space effects you can get without overdoing any of it. Then, go back to your saved version, take a new backup, and start implementing those new effects. Add some additional insturments to level things out, and write the transitions and backings. By then, your track will have improved significantly.

The progression was nice, and it was relaxing to listen to, but OCR wants more elaborate, more professional stuff. You're heading the right direction, this is more cohesive and interpretive than your previous wips (those I can recall). This is a track that, with the right writing and processing, could get on OCR. Huge improvement!

Take a backup, play around with reverbs, delays, compression, pan, and volume, see what space effects you can get without overdoing any of it. Then, go back to your saved version, take a new backup, and start implementing those new effects.

What wise advice! I never thought to do this before... I can see now how playing with the effects and going crazy helps you learn, but then if you try to keep your work it'll be really messy and ugly - going back to the saved one forces you to have learned something and know what you're doing and then cleanly apply the desired effects.

I actually always really enjoyed the tune from the Goron City in OOT, and this remix is so chill and mellow, it makes me wonder what it would be like if somebody took it in the direction of raggae! Laul!

Anwho, this is great instrumental and is even very danceable. It reminded me of salsa at times. Also throwing in the original Zelda theme here and there was a fun idea.

Seriously, keep it up. I very much enjoyed this track! Hey, and if you decide on a whim that you never want to work on it again, let us know so I remember to add this to my collection. :)