Morrowind 'Off to Morrowind' (Main Theme)

sirgareth

Ok I recently submitted the song "Off to Morrowind", based on the the theme from Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and it was politely rejected. Since the the judges said to resubmit, I have made a new version with a new part or two, new sounds, much better drum part, and more energy. I would love to hear people's input before I resubmit it. Here is the link:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6805831.

If it doesn't take you right to the song then you can go to www.soundclick.com/sirgareth and it is entitled "Off to Morrowind Again" the original version i did before is also there if anyone wants a listen. I have been working for a long time on this project and I mean to get it right this time! Thanks in advance for your comments,

Gareth

This blows me away with all the variety! Just as soon as I think I know where this track's going it punches me in the head. The brass section being brought in at the end was a thing of beauty.

I honestly have no criticisms. I just wanted you to know that this is one of the most diverse songs I have ever heard. That, and I want to have your bastard love-child.

My man-genitals may make that difficult...

This blows me away with all the variety! Just as soon as I think I know where this track's going it punches me in the head. The brass section being brought in at the end was a thing of beauty.

I honestly have no criticisms. I just wanted you to know that this is one of the most diverse songs I have ever heard. That, and I want to have your bastard love-child.

My man-genitals may make that difficult...

Yes...yes...that may prove to be an issue....lol, but glad you enjoyed the song at least

I got excited (no, not _that_ excited) about this track when I read the Js' decision. They've covered a lot of what you need to fix about it, so I'll see what I find as standing out.

See if you can add some frequency width to the guitars, they do sound dry. Crashes could be abit more aggressive, try compressing them with a long attack (they'd need to be separate from the rest of the drums). Guitar solos should be more rich, so you need to fix their sound. Also, the first guitar melody, second half of the track, felt a little too far panned.

Vary the source melody more. Spin it into another chord, change the rhythm and repeat previous notes, see what you can do to redo it.

The intro abss drum could get a bit of a bass boost in some narrow low range, but I'm not sure where. Also, don't overdo it, a few dB would be enough.

Also, don't be afraid to add some embellishment to the flute melodies, as well as little cameos of the flute in the orchestral break.

Source is there, but could probably still use some variation, especially in the intro where it's playing for three iterations, there's lots of room to make even larger changes to the melody and rhythm of it. You did it well after 2:20, so why not before?

Overall, you got a borderline YES, and two RESUBs last version, plus a lot of helpful crits and tips from the J's. That's good. Make sure you won't have to make a third run at the J's, fix this track up good. Seems like you can get past them once you've fixed this up.

I got excited (no, not _that_ excited) about this track when I read the Js' decision. They've covered a lot of what you need to fix about it, so I'll see what I find as standing out.

See if you can add some frequency width to the guitars, they do sound dry. Crashes could be abit more aggressive, try compressing them with a long attack (they'd need to be separate from the rest of the drums). Guitar solos should be more rich, so you need to fix their sound. Also, the first guitar melody, second half of the track, felt a little too far panned.

Vary the source melody more. Spin it into another chord, change the rhythm and repeat previous notes, see what you can do to redo it.

The intro abss drum could get a bit of a bass boost in some narrow low range, but I'm not sure where. Also, don't overdo it, a few dB would be enough.

Also, don't be afraid to add some embellishment to the flute melodies, as well as little cameos of the flute in the orchestral break.

Source is there, but could probably still use some variation, especially in the intro where it's playing for three iterations, there's lots of room to make even larger changes to the melody and rhythm of it. You did it well after 2:20, so why not before?

Overall, you got a borderline YES, and two RESUBs last version, plus a lot of helpful crits and tips from the J's. That's good. Make sure you won't have to make a third run at the J's, fix this track up good. Seems like you can get past them once you've fixed this up.

Thanks for the suggestions, but i wanted to make sure which track you listened to? That sounds like more of the issues with the older version, just making sure before I go messing with the mix again. Thanks

I heard the version you linked to. Your own dang fault if you linked to the old version. :P

It's hard to say what you've improved on since the submitted version without hearing that one, but I listed stuff I felt could still be issues.

Yeah I know it would be my fault, thats why i was checking. I'm pretty sure you did hear the right one, I will address the things you mentioned, thanks again for the suggestions

Ok I recently submitted the song "Off to Morrowind", based on the the theme from Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and it was politely rejected. Since the the judges said to resubmit, I have made a new version with a new part or two, new sounds, much better drum part, and more energy. I would love to hear people's input before I resubmit it. Here is the link:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6805831.

If it doesn't take you right to the song then you can go to www.soundclick.com/sirgareth and it is entitled "Off to Morrowind Again" the original version i did before is also there if anyone wants a listen. I have been working for a long time on this project and I mean to get it right this time! Thanks in advance for your comments,

Gareth

Alright everyone, I have made some adjustments based on a few people's suggestions and I'm wondering what people think of the new version (its posted in the same place) thanks again!

Only got a problem with the crashes and rides. They're too soft and don't have enough hi-range stuff to compete with the hihats, so when the crash is struck, it sounds like the track loses energy rather than gains some. Kick might use a little bit of a mid/high-range boost to cut through a little more. Not much.

Guitars could still use some more stereo width. Some delays can give you a stereo effect, some reverbs do that too. See if you have any of those. The thing that bothers me about this is the lack of stereo width. Spread the sound of the guitars more using effects, see what you can do about that.

Nothing stood out as bad, and the other crits I had don't seem to apply much anymore. It all sounds good to me. Great track.

Only got a problem with the crashes and rides. They're too soft and don't have enough hi-range stuff to compete with the hihats, so when the crash is struck, it sounds like the track loses energy rather than gains some. Kick might use a little bit of a mid/high-range boost to cut through a little more. Not much.

Guitars could still use some more stereo width. Some delays can give you a stereo effect, some reverbs do that too. See if you have any of those. The thing that bothers me about this is the lack of stereo width. Spread the sound of the guitars more using effects, see what you can do about that.

Nothing stood out as bad, and the other crits I had don't seem to apply much anymore. It all sounds good to me. Great track.

Thanks, I have been noticing the crash and rides too as of late, so i see what you mean, and the kick too, though I agree that only a dB or two increase would be sufficient.

Now the problem with the guitars I'm not sure i understand, because the rhythm guitar track is actually been doubled and panned hard left and right (perhaps not hard enough i guess) or were you referring to the lead parts? I'll try panning them a bit further, they are about 75% at the moment. I was thinking about some delay on the lead guitars anyway, but i wasn't sure, I guess that makes up my mind, lol.

Thanks again for your objective comments, no one can mix a song without additional ears helping out, lol. You get used to the way it sounds and have a hard time noticing little details.

The guitar being doubled isn't half as important as being recorded twice. And then panned as wide as possible. Dunno what you did, and you'd be better off getting guitar feedback from people more used to listening and evaluating guitars, but it didn't sound as wide as I recall other ppl's guitar mixes do.

If you know this already, never mind, but I'll say it just in case, for you or anyone who needs to know. Recording a guitar part twice and hard-panning the two recording opposite each other creates this effect of it being jsut one guitar, but that one guitar being really phat. It enhances the stereo soundscape of the track and keeps the center from being cluttered.

When using delay, be subtle. You want jsut enough to make it stand out, not so much that it interferes with the rhythm and/or clutters the track.

For more detailed guitar feedback, get on #ocrwip and hope sixto or tensei-san or one of the other guitar ppl will critique the track.

Yeah when I said doubled, I meant recorded twice. So that just means they need to be hard panned, which, ironically, was the way I had intended when I first recorded the song last year lol. Cant remember why it was changed ... but yeah ill try that and see what happens.