Final Fantasy 'Battle Remix'

Xenocrates Luna

Supload is ugly but works fine. Boomp3 is annoying, as it names all downloads "downloaded from boomp3.com.mp3". Just fyi. I'll probably tell darke to update his post at some point.

For that matter, the quality is pretty much the same in both. Doesn't sound that good in either, tho. Spakku sure proves his sig accurate. :P

The guitar is awful, and the hihats aren't much better either. Drum processing is... well, subpar.

If you have an amp simulation effect, use it. Use that, and use velocity, the mod wheel, pitch bend, and other midi-effects to create a more organic guitar sound. This just won't cut it. As guitar, at least. Turn it into a good synth sound and you shouldn't have this kind of problem.

You've also using a synth for bass. I'm not hearing it all the time, and it eats up some of the rhythm a sampled/real bass could have. On the other hand, you have other things that you can do with this, really fast melodies, filter changes, stuff like that. Don't use it as a filler, use it to bring out the best of the other tracks.

As for drums, some amount of reverb and EQ-ing the drums separate from each other might get you a better sound, but you might need new samples. Snare and kick should have a small 2-5dB peak somewhere in the 100-200Hz range. That'lll give them more punch. They could sue a little more voerall volume, too. Also, drums need to be panned. Make sure you've still got balance between them, so you most of the time have something in the high range in both ears, even if one's far louder than the other. It makes for a more balanced sound. Snare and kick are centered, of course.

I think you should take a backup, then play around with possible replacements for the guitar, try out different drum processing, and play with the bass writing. Take the time to make some additional backing tracks, whether they're backing or just soundscaping. You could do a lot with the organ you already have.

Source/interpretation got hard for me. Source-deafness or whatever, I only recognized the first notes of the remix as the first part of the Battle source. I hope someone else can be more helpful on that, or that it'll suddenly click for me and I suddenly get it (in which case I'll let you know).

Then there's overall levels mixing, EQing, and stuff, but that's a later concern. Since it's not a midi rip / midi clone, and the writing sounds like it'd be great when produced better. Good potential, this track.