The Standard for Music Composing

SlickDaddySlick

I know there a few composers on OC Remix that may have done music for video games in the past. I what to know, from your experience, what do you think is the standard for composing music in gaming. What is expected from you, the composer when the company, studio, etc. what to use your music?

Sorry if I did not give as much detail as needed.

You do have your own thoughts on what kind of stuff you like but there is no true standard. All composers just compose the way they want unless the developer wants the game to have a certain way. Some games have a theme with its music, opposed with each area of the game having its own musical theme. Take Chrono Cross. That game's music had a very folky feel with it (besides the action sequences of course). Skies of Arcadia and Dragon Quest VIII had entirely orchestrated soundtracks (although a few keyboard sounds were used in SoA).

There's a lot more to consider than just the music itself. It depends on what sort of video game you're working on, and who you're doing it for.

If it's interactive music, it takes a high degree of musicianship and technical understanding, because there are often many layers to a single music track that can be added or subtracted at any time, and the music can jump from any bar to any bar depending on game variables.

You also need to take into consideration the other sound elements in the game, including sound effects, and both write and mix around that.

You are expected to be as flexible as possible and not be snowed in on a niché, and they want the goods as fast as possible. That's why there are so many successful hacks out there using 80% pre-made loops, those unfamiliar with prefabs/sample libraries won't know the difference.

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

It seems like one of the big things is that you need to be able to work within limits... and not just in the "Get it done ASAP" sense that Gecko mentioned.

If you're working on a console game (CD/DVD-based), you'd likely have a lot more freedom for song duration and deciding where it loops. You'd also have seemingly greater availability in terms of how the music is going to be made (live instruments, samples, etc.). But with handhelds and their cartridges, things come across as much more limiting. 5-8 minute opuses aren't likely to be available to you. You'd need to be able to write a song that can be looped smoothly with a duration of about 1.5-3 minutes before the loop hits (not to mention write the music so it can be looped smoothly). I know that seems simple, but it can be pretty tough to get effective ideas fully fleshed out that won't get annoying as the loopings continue. Then of course, there are the memory constraints (how much of the game's memory is being allowed for the music), and the sample/synth hurdles that come with a system's hardware. You'd need to be able to work within and around all these things, and still come out with a soundtrack that satisfies the folks who hired you.

I could be completely wrong on this, and Gecko may have meant all this when he said "flexible". But that's what it's looked like to me over the years.