Macbook Brick Pro

The Pezman

Okay, so I was seriously considering getting a Macbook Pro back in May. But I heard that they were going to be releasing a serious update in June. So I waited. June became July became September. I still waited. Then, it was finally nailed down on October 14th. And boy, was the wait worth it! Unfortunately, I left New York the day of the announcement, so I had to order it from the Apple store, and it came today. It's my first Mac, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but overall I'm satisfied. I wish it were a 17", had Blu-Ray and Firewire 400, the trackpad were easier to click, and you could get a consistent reading on how much battery life I had left, but these minor annoyances are more nitpicky than not, and I'm pretty sure I won't be headed back to Windows anytime soon.

Yeah, the entire process is supposedly more environmentally friendly than ye olde methods, not just in the recycling of materials but also in the lack of various chemicals and such that used to leave something of a large carbon footprint. Although there is a bit of an uproar over the exclusion of the Firewire 400 (or any Firewire at all, for the regular MacBooks) port that has been standard in Macbooks over the last five years.

How about a stronger body?

A friend of mine had a Macbook Pro from maybe three years ago, and the top of it had come completely loose. He literally had to use velcro to prevent top casing from flipping upwards and exposing all the circuits.

No longer an issue.

And yes, lack of FW400 is a pain in the ass.

Okay, so I was seriously considering getting a Macbook Pro back in May. But I heard that they were going to be releasing a serious update in June. So I waited. June became July became September. I still waited. Then, it was finally nailed down on October 14th. And boy, was the wait worth it! Unfortunately, I left New York the day of the announcement, so I had to order it from the Apple store, and it came today. It's my first Mac, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but overall I'm satisfied. I wish it were a 17", had Blu-Ray and Firewire 400, the trackpad were easier to click, and you could get a consistent reading on how much battery life I had left, but these minor annoyances are more nitpicky than not, and I'm pretty sure I won't be headed back to Windows anytime soon.

The battery thingy can easily be adjusted. Go to System Preferences, the lightbulb-icon (dunno what it is in english) and the "options" tab. Check the "show battery icon"-thingy box. Then click the Battery Icon in the top bar and in one of the menus there you'll find display options and you can choose showing what's left ;)

also, I hate the new MBP's for not having FireWire 400 too. Makes me want to hit somebody. It's the most stable connection for audio work directly from harddrive or a good soundcard atm. Blu-Ray on the other hand is overrated :3

you'll find display options and you can choose showing what's left

What I mean is that "showing what's left" is never consistent. One minute it's 4:30, then it's 1:57, then it's 2:08, and so on.

Exactly what Firewire stuff do you use that makes it so inconvenient to not have that port. Do you do a lot of video work or something?

apogee_duet.jpg

What I mean is that "showing what's left" is never consistent. One minute it's 4:30, then it's 1:57, then it's 2:08, and so on.

Well, you're not likely to find any reading of the sort that is accurate and consistent. This is largely because the "life" of these batteries is largely dependent upon inconsistent factors like temperature.

apogee_duet.jpg

First and foremost: HELL YEAH DUET! I'm getting one.

Also, it's not consistent because it depends on what you do with your computer. Running audio apps for example strains the battery more than surfing the web ;) it's accurate, more accurate than you thought

Yeah, I pretty much guessed everything about the battery life. But in Windows it never flopped around this much, so either Windows was just wrong or my PC consumed less power. Either ones seems possible.

Don't tell me you spent that much for one...I even drew the line on not spending that much on an audio interface while learning.

I knew it would be worth it in the long run. Plus, it's very portable, and I found a deal on ebay which got me the Duet plus the "breakout" expansion for slightly less than the cost of a new one. I think I made out well.