BlasterMasterpiece Part 1: Frog Thrash Boogey

GarretGraves

Click here to listen!

Ok. Here's the rundown.

This is more of a rock/boogey mix of the Stage 2 theme of Blaster Master. And I'm hitting snags left and right. First the good, though. I've attempted remixes before. While those have failed, I've learned a lot from those failures. This has to be one of my better arranged remixes to date. The track starts with nothing but a bass kick. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! This a muddy sounding bass comes in. Then distorted guitar following the bass. Then the original intro melody, but instead of just the straight A note behind it I used the bass line and riff of the main harmony. The result is more ear catching. Now I'm no pro at remixing, per se. But I gather this is what's suppose to be done? Or rather is an example of what the judges are looking for? Anyway, I'm proud of the element thus far.

Now the bad. I have had this hum and buzz in my guitar and bass for years and have found no cure as to get rid of it. And it's hindering on my quality. On top of that, I'm using 15 year old gear! Aside from the new machine a made a year ago, everything else is aged. And after hearing remixes on this site I think it's quite obious that I could do better as far as guitar/bass gear is concerned. And a new drum kit would be nice. It's not THAT old but it doesn't have the sound I'm looking for. Or maybe I'm not mixing it well? So, what do people recommend?

Ok, i'll start off by saying that its good to know that you have an idea of your problems in the mix, which is half the battle :D

Ok, the buzzing guitars - I am no expert on this matter, so don't quote me on this stuff -

Dodgy leads can be a problem although if you have had this problem for a while, I am guessing you have tried buying new leads.

One thing I have been told is that buzzing in amps can happen when there is a large amount of turned on electrical devices in the same room.

15 year old equipment can't help though, I must say.

Moving on...

Mixing - not bad, not sure I agree with the extreme panned lead guitars though. Also, the lead guitars are drowned out by the rhythm guitars, volume adjustment and EQ should help you settle that.

The playing is ace - I love the guitar solo. If you have a link to the source, it would be handy - I can comment on your arrangement then :D

Till the next update 8D

Not bad stuff. I think your guitar sounds are pretty good, actually. Playing, too.

Two things about drums. The sound could be bigger. You have a really simple beat at some places, which, I think, would work much better if the sound was bigger. It doesn't quite carry the track as it is now. I think the snare is the biggest problem there. It goes like "tlok" while it should be a good big *KPOSSSH*, sorry for the onomatopoetics but I hope you get my idea. :) And that's just my opinion anyway.

Another problem with the drums, and the snare again, is the long rolls. They sound really mechanical. Vary the velocity between individual hits, use different (but similar sounding) samples, do anything to liven that up.

The guitars don't sound like they are exactly in tune with each other. The leads especially. It might be your guitar's intonation is off when you go up the neck. If that's the case, try tuning the guitar to be in tune around the frets you intend to play your lead before you record them. Of course you should in the long run correct the intonation, getting a pro guitar technician to fix it or something. Also, hum & other problems may well be broken mics, or wiring in your guitar, and you can and should get that fixed by a technician too. Take any of my guitar advice with a grain of salt, as I'm not terribly experienced with them, especially their inner workings. But it sounds like you're a good player who deserves instruments that are in good working condition.

--Eino

i recorded for a few days straight and re-recorded parts during that time. it's possible that I went out of tune while recording over those few days. i'll have to re-record the entire thing anyway because I want a better sound overall. And yeah, my drums arent quite where I want them either. I need a better drum kit, there's no arguing there. The snare is a little weak. Kinda reminds me of the snare on System of a Down's Toxicity album.

Im tellin ya guys! I'm willing to go the full mile for whatever I need to get a better sound. I no longer question my skill as a musician. My equipment is aged and I need new gear. Any recommendations would definately aid in my goal.

Ok, I've had a listen to the arrangement and at the track seems a little bit too close to the source at the mo.

I suggest varying the main section a little in repeats - variations in chord sequence, melody, try a breakdown, guitar licks in between phases, counter melodys, anything that you can think of basically.

The judges look for stuff like that. Just make sure that the original section/source ratio is 50/50 and they shouldn't have any problems with arrangement. I'm not an authority on the standards thou, so don't quote me on that :D

My problem in the past though is that I tend to stray TOO far from the source. With this, each section contains an original part of the source but rearranged with something different in front or behind it. I thought this was what the judges like to see. I dunno. The standards have changed over the years so I don't know what qualifies anymore.

I figure if I beef this one up the arrangement would still work. I just ordered a Line6 Gearbox which was recommended on the mixing forums. I'm hoping that'll finally cure my buzzing problem. It may even improve my overall guitar and bass sound. Crossing fingers!