Secret of Mana Medley Cheeze

Nase

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/fileshack/c/cuvh-SOm101.mp3

Threw this together this afternoon. As in, really 'threw together'. Heavy medleyitis, but it was fun.

As a whole piece it feels like some cheesy radio crossmix. Maybe point out some part you like. I thought the SoM main theme disco part had potential, but I'd have no clue how to construct a full tune out of that.

Thanks for going into detail. Agree with most of it.

The 'bad instrumentation' you pointed out use samples from the game itself :)

1:25+ sounds really trashy, I agree

They *can* sound good though. 1:00, the chimes/bells in the background, that's the sample used in that infested temple pretty early on in the game, forgot the name.

The piano is from SoM as well.

Bass works ok on my speakers, it's true that sounds like this one sound weak on headphones most of the time

Distortion at 2:28? Don't think the guitar is distorted thaat heavily. Maybe it's the combination of higher frequencies in bass and guitar?

The ending I agree is quite a downer structurally although it sounds good on its own. Just when I had something cool going near the end, I cut it off because I got bored or something :P

Don't know if I'll try to reduce the throwntogetherness or just use some parts as a jumpboard for a more cohesive remix. Or maybe include 20 other SoM motifs XD

nasenmann - its all good

real creative stuff here

the medley thing has its merit but you certainly started off with some great ideas in the beginning with 'distant thunder' - this part for me is the most intriguing of the arrangement - you kinda come around full circle at the end too - and the brass and string stuff in the middle work reall great.

now, the shifts from song to song in the middle are cool but it kinda kills the vibe you started with - i think if you stuck with the disco thing more and really condensed and focused this mix more it would be more solid

as for the bass keep the saw wave but try layering it with a pitched squarewave or something to have the fundamental translate better

No source link, no source comment. I recognize a few sources the game has in common with its sequel, but beyond that, no comment. Good use of the characters death theme.

The bass needs some serious processing to fit in. Too low, too noisy. Can't hear much else than the creaking noise in it. Use headphones, as a lot of people will listen to remixes on the bus and wherever... without speakers. From what I can hear, the bass writing ain't bad, it's pretty groovy, but needs to actually get through better. The bass holds the track together fairly well. With some additional writing to close the track with a previous theme.

Okay, 2:20 I sure recognize. Anyone interested and able to make a beautiful and calm version of that source for the sd3 project should let me know. /shameless plug/request

There's some backing things that don't quite sound as good as they could, but not to the point where they bother me. There is, tho, some weird noise or static in the background. Easy to hear once the track breaks a bit.

I'm having a hard time focusing on this track. I'd like to blame the bass, but it could just as well be an overall lack of familiarity with the source. Still, there's a lot that's already been said about this, so you should have enough crits to work from for now. Good luck.

No one of you commented on the drums...I think I'll keep their repetitive dance style while introducing some more interesting breaks and embellishments.

you said disco so i just think straight-a-head drum beats - but breaks are always nice and SoM lends itself well to some really cool, off the wall, drum breaks for tracks like 'danger' and 'distant thunder'