Zelda- Fairy Foutain Remix WIP

990racle

Howdy peeps! I was sort of wondering if this is even worth editing and submitting, so I'll let you guys be the judge. The listen is appreciated, and of course let me know if its worth changing (and what needs changed!)

Selected Whisper Wish (Remix Of Fairy's Fountain- A link to the past/OoT, etc.)

It should play automatically. (Click Here)

edits: I forgot to mention, this is the second remix I've ever done. I'm not used to remixing (I write original stuff usually.)

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[ ] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[ ] Too quiet

[ ] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[ ] Generic/cliche sound choices

[ ] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[ ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[ ] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[ ] Too repetitive

[ ] Too short

[ ] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[x] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[x] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[ ] Too quiet

[x] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[x] Generic/cliche sound choices

[ ] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[ ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[x] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[x] Too repetitive

[ ] Too short

[ ] Abrupt ending

All right, there's a lot of cool stuff going on here, lots of cool sounds and textures, but the overall sound is too similar to source. Can't tell if it's audio from source or just a very similar sounding instrument. That close/ripped stuff would work well as an intro, but as the bulk of the track... no. This is a more developed version of the midi+drums approach that generally doesn't even get to the panel. More arranging! Good luck.

I agree with Roz. You've got plenty of cool sound effects here but sfx don't constitute a remix. Play with the melody, add a break, create, mold, rearrange... you can do anything with this, so give it your best shot.

Personally, with a source that is so short and repetitive, I'd suggest you write some new material that you can introduce a quarter or third of the way through, then combine with the fountain theme later on in the remix. Also, nothing has to be note-for-note. Take the key signature and break apart the source until you get some building blocks to play with, then see what happens.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. I do agree that if I plan on submitting it it is way too unchanged. I made it mostly to learn some new VSTs I got, but I was wondering if it was worth working on... and sounds like it is! I'll post up a new wip once I've made some changes.

(oh, the only actual game audio sampled was parts of the drums and background noises- the instrument that plays the bulk of the lead is one specifically made to emulate an NES. Like I said, I was mainly playing with VSTs, but I really liked how it came out and saw potential in it.)