Requested - Rocket Knight stage 6 'Taking to Deep space'

Psychog13

Hey :)

I made this as a request for Nilo. Ive never played the game before but was told it was for a deep space level... I initially wasnt happy with the way this came out but the more I listen to it and imagine space the more I like it...

Posted it on tindeck for people sick of looking at myspace, but it is on there also (link at bottom of page)

bnab

This is kind of how I view it..

0:00 to 0:58 - Leaving your Planet's gravitational pull looking down on the homeworld

0:59 to 1:23 - Traveling out of the solar system gazing at the stars

1:24 to 1:41 : engage hyper drive everything flys by and strange

1:42 to 2:05 : arrive at new destination and begin to approach an alien space station to dock.

2:06 to 3:35 : doors open and you enter a dangerous environment things get gradually more serious and life threatening...

3:36 to 3:47 - enter a strange control room after a confrontation and engage self destruct

rest of song your victorious escape :P something like that...

Like i say it took me a few listens to actually like the piece I came up with was thinking of making some serious changes but now im not so sure. As for sound quality and what ever im pretty sure there are still problems im still not great at it, added lots of verb and 85 freq to the drums and stuff...

Hope you enjoy

Cheers :)

Source

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rO8GIXyUhg0

I like the verb in general, but one thing about 1:24, too much verb on the bass. I can't even hear the articulations! Hmm... your kick drum at 5:02 doesn't punch out enough. I'd recommend cutting below 80 Hz on the bass instrument there. If that doesn't seem to produce a satisfactory sound, then try cutting some of the low on the kick too.

yeah, I like hte sounds, but there is just too much low end, it gets rather muddy. The bass has no definition, boost about 500 hz, or find a way to give it just a little more attack.

Its a rather dull sounding remix, not becuase of the arrangment, but rather becuase of the fact that there is soo much more in the way of bass than high frequencies. Hopefully my suggestions will help you out.

As far as the arrangement? Solid IMO, I dunno if its too liberal or not, but I can sense the original in a lot of yoru motifs, its just really well arranged. I love that little imagery thing you gave, it really fits the bill.

4:12 whoa. don't change too fast.

4:25 stick with this. I like it.

The ending needs work

-J3

If you check the source thats how the tune actually goes... thought i'd stay true to it.

the ending does need work it was incredibly rushed...

I will have to adjust the verb and bass a little - cheers for pointing that out Cyril

Thanks for checking this out :)

xGx

The source link apparently doesn't work anymore. Not gonna look for another one.

Intro is fine. Strings melody might need some more variation in dynamics or subtle articulation. Harp and harpsichord work well.

There's some annoying clicks or pops before 0:48, could be from the harp samples. Move the attack up to one or two ms and it should be fixed.

Synth arpeggio at 1:08 is great. Drums at 1:25 not so much. Up til 1:42, I'm just hearing random notes. Needs to be more cohesive there. All those sections need to be more cohesive, and not break the flow of the track (flows ok at 2:59, doesn't flow well at 2:36).

There's something in the background around 2:00, but it's too soft to be anything but noise.

A lot of long reverbs and delays. It kind'a covers the dynamics, so drop them a bit.

Lots of sudden changes. Probably something you borrowed from source. Most of those transitions are annoying (2:23, 2:36, 2:47, 3:00, 4:12). Some are decent or good (0:58, 1:08, 2:12, 3:47, 4:23). The one at 1:23 sounds promising but just gets disappointing.

There's some key issues, like at 1:52 and 4:10, a note or two that sounds out of key. Might be other instances of that too.

I like the sound of this, it's something I could imagine being posted... when the issues have been worked out. The bass is pretty cool during the "chorus" sections. 4:38 might be my favorite part of it. Aside from not having an actual ending, the track ends well. Good work, man.

The one at 1:23 sounds promising but just gets disappointing.

Couldnt agree more, that is one personal dislike with the song myself at the moment. The result after the build up isnt quite right but I thought the toms entered brilliantly well there but what I actually had them doing is kinda lame...

Im yet to hear offical responce from the guy i actually bothered to make this for which is disapointing concidaring the time I put into it so most likely wont touch it again until I get some feedback from him but thanks ever so much for this in depth anyalsis Roz, you never cease to amaze... I definatly didnt even notice those pops at 48 until you mentioned them, now they stand out like a soar thumb :-x

xGx