USB hard drive "idles" at times

Mr Azar

Basically, if I don't use my USB hard drive constantly, it tends to "power down" after ten or so minutes, then, when I access it (or delete something on my PC, not the drive itself), it takes a moment, whirs to life again, then works. The momentary pause can be annoying and in some cases, a real hindrance. Is there any way to keep the USB hard drive constantly "active" so this pause doesn't happen?

• 3 weeks later...

hey, i just saw this.

zircon, it isn't the behavior of all usb drives - just the ones that offer power-saving tech (check out the caviar green drives for an example). this IS a majority of them, but a slight one at best.

there's a really easy way to make it stop doing that - just break open the case and install the drive in your desktop (if you're not using a laptop, that is). the procedure that powers it down is in the firmware of the casing, so the drive itself is 'salvageable'. or you could buy another external case for it and put the hd in that.

hey, i just saw this.

zircon, it isn't the behavior of all usb drives - just the ones that offer power-saving tech (check out the caviar green drives for an example). this IS a majority of them, but a slight one at best.

there's a really easy way to make it stop doing that - just break open the case and install the drive in your desktop (if you're not using a laptop, that is). the procedure that powers it down is in the firmware of the casing, so the drive itself is 'salvageable'. or you could buy another external case for it and put the hd in that.

Oh boy, let's not be going about voiding any warranties here lol.

I'm trying to find some daemon for windows that will arbitrarily read or write a file to the disk... no dice...

What version of Windows are you running? OR are you running a Mac? (If you're running Linux, this should be even easier).