Roland gear?

What do you want to buy?

The V-synth is pretty awesome for what it can do. The SH-201 not so much (although it's a decent starter's synth with a lot of sliders for cheap). The SonicCell is good if you don't need all that's in the Fantom. I have the FP7 digital piano and I like it a lot, the keyboard of the RD700GX feels really good too.

Roland and monitors - not my first choice, really.

Audio interfaces are more in Edirols domain.

Well, if the edirol series is a branch of roland then it's good.

Either way, I'm really looking more to buy recording gear than a synth - (I really need an audio interface) unless said synth/controller was really, really amazing.

I have a crappy keyboard that serves my purposes fine now for midi in/out and I wasn't looking to expand to a workstation or something like that. (though the v-station does look tasty...)

anything in the edirol line you would recommend?

Audio interfaces have stiff competition, and again I think Roland's strengths are with synthesizers - not directly audio interfaces.

Audio interface choice is determined by answering a few simple questions:

- what are you willing to spend

- how many inputs/outputs do you need

- do you want to hook up guitars or microphones?

Then it's simply looking for whatever fits those criteria and reading reviews on how well the company keeps up with drivers. If they don't; avoid.

IMO the fantom is over-rated. It's not as effective as software (both instruments and sequencing) in a studio environment with a bit higher learning curve, it's heavy and bulky, and even at cost, they're pretty durn expensive.

I do think the V-synth looks pretty spiffy if you absolutely were going to get a keyboard. If you're looking for 88-key weighted, then yeah, something like the FP-4/FP-7 or RD300G/RD700G are probably decent. Although, again, for the same price as an FP7 or RD300/700, I'd just get a Yamaha MO8 or something.