*WIP* You're Not Alone! (Ocean Blue Mix)

Lindar

As with a lot of people new to ocremix' kind of remixing, you're redoing the original progression with new melodies, not writing a new progression, a new arrangement, for the same melodies.

That being said, this is better than your last version. You're improving. :D This is a pretty cool creative idea, and the submerged sound is great, I might actually use it in one of my remixes. You do need one clean and clear instrument to sound through the waters, tho. The Wingless uses a pretty cool one in his Super Metroid tracks, and DrumUltimA had a really simple but elegant one in Moon Rhapsody (could be a humble sine wave, not sure), you should listen to those just to hear how it could sound, as both of them are both soft and clear. Then see what presets you have that sound like they could work in your remix.

There's also no clear rhythm in this wip. While it's not impossible to make this work with the right performance and mixing, it'd probably be easier to add some soft drums/percussion and/or some bass writing to provide that rhythm. The delays from the piano are beautiful and really sell the oceanic sound, but they mud up the track and turn the piano into more of a pad. Nothing wrong with that, you just need something else to provide rhythm and melody for it.

If you listen to this and compare it with some other remixes, you might find that this doesn't have enough high frequencies or low frequencies to sound good, it's stuck in the middle. That's why you need bass and/or percussion, and a clean lead.

The vocal clips don't sound good. They kind'a clash with the much calmer sound of the music. I get that you're trying to do, but the synth voice doesn't sound good with the processed piano.

But back to the arrangement. I have a suggestion, something for you to try. First of all, take a backup of your project file. Then... At around 0:42, you could leave a pattern with just some simple backing, no melody, just one chord. Next, you start layering instruments on each other on top of a simple progression of two chords (or more, your remix). You can then introduce your lead instrument playing some bit of the source melody, and after that take the track to the "chorus", a recognizeable progression from source... then move into something else, maybe back to those two chords I suggested before.

By starting from other chords, you can't just copy the melody or progression of the source into it, you have to write yourself, and that's where a remix becomes a ReMix. Maybe two melody snippets from different parts of the source work well ogether on those chords. Maybe you can't do anything but repeat the same five notes over and over. I don't know. That's for you to explore. Good luck.

So... ya. What's the source? If it's Terra's theme again, I can't tell, right now...

I can't recognize the source at all in this... If you could post it, that'll be helpful. Even still, if what Rozo said was true, then I probably won't recognize it anyway - that's what happens when you use the harmonies and structure of a piece without using the melodies. I'm not against that, entirely, either; it just needs to be blended into other techniques (source melody w/ different harmonies, source melody used AS the harmony, etc. etc.).

Peaceful and relaxing... you've got that down, all right. The voices do clash, like Rozovian mentioned. If you want to keep them, try turning the delay down (or off, even), turning them down and lowering the mids in the EQ. It'll clash a whole lot less with the rest of the music.

Past the first 30 seconds, it starts to get repetitious. You need to change it up a little (harmonically, especially). The texture is nice, but it needs to change every once in a while, too. Listen to other OC remixes - they remain in the same genre (most of the time, anyway), but they still keep some variety in their remix. Try to do the same, here :)

The mix is pretty muddy... All of your instruments are in the same middle range. You'd need to replace some instruments (or give them a little less reverb in some cases) or use some EQing to use more highs and lows.

As for the rhythms... This can work without them, if you really want to go that route, but it does require some sort of percussive instrument to strike out of the delays. People can easily get lost in a mix like this.

I worked really hard for this remix

You don't need to tell us - we generally do work hard on any remix we do. Unfortunately, when you say this it implies 'Don't bash me too much in your critiques - I don't like criticism'. If you need to hear criticisms, we'll give them to you regardless... and if someone is being malicious they may just trash it just because. Saying that will not get you anywhere (and may even incite some nasty comments), so I'd keep that to yourself, in general.

Just lettin' you know :)