Journey to Silius Remix

WillRock

I have recently discovered the music for this game, and its absolutely incredible. There is only one remix from this game on the site T_T.

Mega man and final fantasy can wait where remixing is concerned with me, cause people don't need any more remixes of them :P

this is a remix of multiple themes from this game.

Not sure my style transition works... but whatever.

Heres the MP3: http://www.tindeck.com/listen/svac

And here are my sources:

Intro:

Title Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uQwrwcB6RY

Stage 1 Theme:

Enjoy.

Wow, Tindeck's really changed. :D And not for the better, too much junk on the download page.

Anyway, lazy-ass reviewer, no source comment.

Hah, nice transition. Was jsut about to say that nothing stood out as being weird, but that was weird. Oh, and now it got all synthy. :P lol But I don't mind any of that, I think it works well.

Some of the soloing reminds me of that one Zool song I actually remember (and tried remixing some time ago). :D All good, imo, might be a bit excessive unless there's source in the soloing.

Drums need moar powah. Go 80's with em, use too much reverb on the snare, I think it could work, there's a lot of 80's writing in this anyway.

Nice work, bro. Enjoyable, unpredictable, good fun. :D

I agree w/drums issue. Dunno what the answer is...moving on.

One little thing to consider maybe, to vary some things up: around 2:06-2:16 and 3:28-3:38, when that wide woodwind-like synth (shit you've got so many going on here I dunno what to call em lol) plays its motif/whatever (it goes I, II III I, II III I, II III V IV III II), all staccato... you could try experimenting with doing some of it in legato. Maybe the first time you present the motif to us, it could be legato, but the second time, staccato? or vice-versa?

Or maybe, within each presentation of the motif, have the first repetition be legato / staccato, and the second repetition use the opposite?

I just feel like, especially at the 2:00 mark, you're still building energy in the song, and staccato (to me) works better at sort of releasing energy or winding down.

i like it.

Edit: i just heard this part of the song in the source, and it starts legato, but when it does the V -> I down-step thing, it's staccato. hm...)

• 1 month later...

I've never played the game either but now JtS Stage 1 music is firmly lodged in my head... working on some hybrid JtS/Bloody Tears mix (it's more bloody tears, as in, listening to it will make you cry tears of blood - for now).

Any progress on this mix?

Since my last listens, a few notes: Some elements in the intro can stand a bit more reverb and realism. Are you going for a big orchestral sound? Because it's somewhat too dry for that right now imo. I agree that the transition to the next section works, but, in comparison to the Stage 1 theme section, which thoroughly kicks ass, the intro is pretty lame at this point.

I'm not so much bothered by the staccato now... Those solos are so damn slick 'n really keep the mix alive. I don't think there are issues with "SPAWN MORE SOURCERLORDS" (what a crappy starcraft reference) like there was with Ice Cap.

Nitpicking: when switching from a solo to the meat of the song, your synth doing the solo'ing sorta just goes quiet all of a sudden. This happens twice: at 1:45, and at 2:56. Maybe fade it out a little slower to make the transition from crazy leet solo to that slower lyrical section less quick and energy-draining? I feel like I wanna ride that synth out a little bit longer and then you just cut it out from underneath me.

Any progress on this one, Willrock?

I'm always surprised by this mix when I listen to it. I never played the game but I feel like I'm thrown into another world by the music itself. Excellent style and great energy throughout. The transition at 1:20 is the only one that I really notice, but even then, it's like a (laser) rock opera with different movements and not in the least worrisome. I love the whining synth from 1:12-1:21 and slick soloing thereafter. Sweet drums, too, with great usage of cymbals to vary the feel of the mix. Update?