SMB Sugar Rush (WIP)

Geeky Stoner

still on about the blaring man... anything you can do to quiet it about 25% maybe?

PERSONAL COMMENTS

the dead silence was like a heavy suspense, i almost thought the song was faulty, but then it blasted me off my chair cuz i turned up the volume 11 seconds in to see if it was just REAL quiet...

NOPE! it's REAL LOUD actually!

first thought was "awesome this sounds fun", followed immediately by "oh shit it's blaring at me".

i loved the distortion effects about a minute and a half in and the outro was okay, but overall rather abrupt.

so overall...

PRODUCTION

[x] Somewhat low-quality samples

[x] Mixing is muddy or sounds are too loud and competing for space.

STRUCTURE

[x] Too repetitive

[x] Too short

[x] Abrupt ending

Starman eh?:-P

Lets see here...

The progression at the beginning is too slow for me. Spend less time on each idea before adding new ones. As this song goes on, you need to take that thing out and change something up. (other than the one break, which is a good start)

The drum at the beginning is getting 'scruntched' Pick a different sample so that you still get that bass feel without the clickyness when it goes fast.

This is sort of a neat use of effects, but man, it gets old for me. Ideas that last too long with not much substance. It feels like it's the starman midi over and over again with a new effect or bend each time. I'm not through the track yet and I'm already thinking to myself NO MORE STARMAN!

Along those lines, the source theme is really short, it won't stand on it's own well, you'll have to use it with other music of the game or very liberal writing.

The pitch shifted bit hurts, it's almost like an effect or something, but I don't like it.

Overall: Too much starman, not enough interpretation or original writing. Too close to source with only some pitch and filter changes. Wrong notes in the form of the pitch bends that don't work well. TOO Repeditive :puppyeyes: It's a very simple piece that's sort of fun to mess with effects on, but nothing I'd want to listen to again. If you ever make a mario mix and wanted to come borrow ideas from this, that might work. But honestly, I'd scrap this and work on something else.

Sorry,

-H

thinks for this input ive been hoping to get some more opinions of my music

anyway im still learning and still have a long way to go obviously.

i just took a listen to it this morning and i like the first version better,

i got too random on the second one i think.Oh well live and learn.

either way im having fun tinkering with the flstudio demo.

i'm probably getting the full version soon.

thanks sorry for putting you through such a repetitive song.

thanks for the opinion hewho.

:-P

No worries. I'm very new at the music creation sort of thing, other then the drums. I have real trouble with things like progression. Song starts, song evolves, song ends. I usually get an idea and run with it, then I get to the end and am left going 'what now' I seem to do better the more thinking I do BEFORE I start actually doing the mix.

The second one isn't really about being random, as the pitch shift being off. This gets into music theory pretty heavy, but in simple terms. The key a song is in 'sounds' right. C is no flats or sharps. Then different key's have different flats and sharps. A pitch shift (don't know for sure what one you used) doesn't move based on keys or notes. So you can shift up or down and be in wrong keys, or be half steps off, or quarter steps off. (half of a half step) Etc.

A good way to get started I've found is hitting up youtube. They'll have vids on FL or whatever you're trying to learn.

-H

oh thanks for the youtube suggestion ill check that out sometime.

i did just give zircons tutorial a read a couple days ago that really taught me a lot especially about what a lot of different effects actually do.

there is another song i'm working on (sort of) using the mario underground theme here in the wip forums as well check it out and pick all the different versions apart if you feel so inclined.

thanks again.

Much better. Still repetitive though, and that'll be because of the relatively short source.

Try half time in there somewhere for more of a switch up, make the starman notes twice as long. Also, a real DnB thing to do would be to lengthen those bits when the starman melody is not playing and play with slices and stuff there.

Now, if you decide you want to work this out into a mix at some point, you can do like a starman intro with what you have, then work into the Mario theme or whatever.

thanks again.yeah i just learned that beat slicing thing yesterday.

i've been thinking about making a slowed down(maybe trance like) part for this in the middle and then going into a big finale.

maybe ill try again tonight.

I'm using the demo of flstudio so i cant save my data of of a song(only render it to mp3)

so i cant recreate anything i made 100%.

It is frustrating having to do everything in one sitting and not being able to save but oh well.

in the meatime until i can afford the full version ill try to get better and just have fun attempting to remix.

You could write your work out in a midi program. I was stuck with the demo version myself way back in the day, and that's what I did.

God, sittin' around for 4 hours straight just to finish something. It was fun because I was learning, but...I wouldn't go back to it. xD

But yeah, midi software is FTW. :3

You could write your work out in a midi program. I was stuck with the demo version myself way back in the day, and that's what I did.

God, sittin' around for 4 hours straight just to finish something. It was fun because I was learning, but...I wouldn't go back to it. xD

But yeah, midi software is FTW. :3

Heh thats a good idea ill look into a midi sequencer.

i was planning on buying the $50 version of flstudio but its actually kinda of a downgrade from the demo

(you lose alot of the synths and the piano roll function is big for me)

so i'm savin up for the $300 deluxe version.my dad did mention somethin about my bday though :D

alright made another one I'm not really sure what to think about this one.

I did some cool things with effects i think.

2:46 to 3:31 i tried to put some more depth into i tried some pads and drums.

but nothing sounded right and it was getting late and i had to wrap it up and go to bed.

so i went with a simple ending.

Oh well ill try again some other time.

ok did another version today.

been having a lot of ideas in my head about this song over the past couple days.

The build upon the original score is pretty minimal but i think the different effects make up for that.anyway had fun with this.

kinda went for a simpler sound than the last few versions at least when is comes to the main synths.

i toned down the drums and various percussions too they were far to spastic and fast before.

ok so tell me what you think out there.