vista and vsts

i've been having really bad issues with 'windows rot' on my homebuilt desktop recently. things are starting to not work, issues are cropping up left and right. normally i'd just format and start over (love the smell of a clean windows installation, it makes my house smell better for some reason), but i'm wondering if it's time i finally made the move to windows vista. i'm worried, however, about my significant body of vst programs that i use with fl studio 8. i can't seem to find info on all of them online, and honestly i don't trust manufacturers statements, i'd rather have real-world descriptions of whether things work or not.

if you've used any of these, can you tell me if they work? i'd be using vista 32-bit.

fl studio 8

reason 4/recycle 2.1 (not really, but i play with it)

celemony melodyne 3 (absolute must :< )

m-audio mobilepre drivers

ni massive, absynth, guitar rig 3, b4 II, akoustik piano

gigastudio 3 (in rewire mode, i don't have a card compatible with it)

colossus

ethno world complete 3

emm knagalis

rob papen's predator and blue 1.7/1.01 (legacy stuff)

steinberg's virtual guitarist (original edition), electric edition, and virtual bassist (these are particularly important, vbassist's effects pedal is possibly the greatest lightweight guitar effects setup i've found)

edirol orchestral

ueberschall's elastik and liquidinstrument series

finale 2008

garritan gofriller cello

stormdrum (kompakt)

addictive drums (another biggie, i use it with everything)

vocaloid 2 (not a big deal, it's SO annoying to use when my wife's a vocalist)

the 4front keyboard vsts (epiano, rhodes, and piano)

izotope vinyl

the mda and dfx effect sets

audioease speakerphone

thanks so much if you can help out! i really appreciate any advice people can give.

i've been having really bad issues with 'windows rot' on my homebuilt desktop recently. things are starting to not work, issues are cropping up left and right. normally i'd just format and start over (love the smell of a clean windows installation, it makes my house smell better for some reason), but i'm wondering if it's time i finally made the move to windows vista. i'm worried, however, about my significant body of vst programs that i use with fl studio 8. i can't seem to find info on all of them online, and honestly i don't trust manufacturers statements, i'd rather have real-world descriptions of whether things work or not.

if you've used any of these, can you tell me if they work? i'd be using vista 32-bit.

fl studio 8

reason 4/recycle 2.1 (not really, but i play with it)

celemony melodyne 3 (absolute must :< )

m-audio mobilepre drivers

ni massive, absynth, guitar rig 3, b4 II, akoustik piano

gigastudio 3 (in rewire mode, i don't have a card compatible with it)

colossus

ethno world complete 3

emm knagalis

rob papen's predator and blue 1.7/1.01 (legacy stuff)

steinberg's virtual guitarist (original edition), electric edition, and virtual bassist (these are particularly important, vbassist's effects pedal is possibly the greatest lightweight guitar effects setup i've found)

edirol orchestral

ueberschall's elastik and liquidinstrument series

finale 2008

garritan gofriller cello

stormdrum (kompakt)

addictive drums (another biggie, i use it with everything)

vocaloid 2 (not a big deal, it's SO annoying to use when my wife's a vocalist)

the 4front keyboard vsts (epiano, rhodes, and piano)

izotope vinyl

the mda and dfx effect sets

audioease speakerphone

thanks so much if you can help out! i really appreciate any advice people can give.

I've used the following in Vista 32 and Vista 64 and they all work flawlessly:

Addictive Drums

ALL the NI stuff including Stormdrum

Edirol Orchestral

The rest I can't speak for. If M-Audio has official vista drivers for your hardware, then rest assured they're rock solid. I have to use developer only beta drivers for my Delta 10/10 and Audiophile and even those work perfectly (in vista 64, no crash yet!)

Addictive Drums

Edirol Orchestral

The rest I can't speak for. If M-Audio has official vista drivers for your hardware, then rest assured they're rock solid. I have to use developer only beta drivers for my Delta 10/10 and Audiophile and even those work perfectly (in vista 64, no crash yet!)

You mean all NI stuff period, or just the EastWest NI stuff? I cannot for the life of me get NI Reaktor 5 to work in Vista, furthermore, any of the Reaktor presets in Kore 2 freeze it up and I have to reboot the machine.

Also, I have yet to get my copy of Melodyne 3 to work in Vista.

You mean all NI stuff period, or just the EastWest NI stuff? I cannot for the life of me get NI Reaktor 5 to work in Vista, furthermore, any of the Reaktor presets in Kore 2 freeze it up and I have to reboot the machine.

Also, I have yet to get my copy of Melodyne 3 to work in Vista.

I should have said all the NI stuff I have... I use FM7, FM8, Pro-53, B4II, Kontakt3, EWQLSO, Stormdrum, Guitar Rig 2/3.

ok. i'm not looking at 64 right now, so that'll be fine.

not to sound like a douchebag, but... why are you upgrading then, exactly? stick with XP unless you're planning on using more than 3GB of RAM and have better multicore support, in which case get vista 64.

anyways, in vista 64:

fl studio 8 works

celemony melodyne 3 works (as does the melodyne plugin)

guitar rig works

addictive drums works

izotope vinyl works

the mda and dfx effect sets work (at least the ones i've used so far)

haven't tried any of the other stuff yet. but be weary of stuff that uses dongles. some of them seem to have issues--from what i understand older syncrosoft stuff has some compatability issues. syncrosoft does have some newer drivers out, but i don't know if they work for older programs, and i couldn't tell you first hand. just a warning.

Addictive Drums

Edirol Orchestral

Exact opposite for me, but then I use a PodXT. Crashes whenever I try to load a VST.

I'm thinking it's POD related.

haven't tried any of the other stuff yet. but be weary of stuff that uses dongles. some of them seem to have issues--from what i understand older syncrosoft stuff has some compatability issues. syncrosoft does have some newer drivers out, but i don't know if they work for older programs, and i couldn't tell you first hand. just a warning.

..Cubase 5 is supposed to be optimized (or, built for) 64-bit, right? Do they still use dongles? I've been thinking of setting up my Vista64 machine as a DAW for a while, at least Guitar Rig works now.

Maybe we should try to compile a list of things that *don't* work with Vista64, as a sticky?

not to sound like a douchebag, but... why are you upgrading then, exactly? stick with XP unless you're planning on using more than 3GB of RAM and have better multicore support, in which case get vista 64.

there's more to my computer use than music - i like the glitz that dx10 gives games, and vista's also more stable than xp is when you mod the crap out of it (like i did to xp).

a lot of what's on that list isn't vista 64 supported as according to their manufacturer websites, which is why i can't go that route.

well, I sure wish Melodyne would work for me in 32.

I'm not sure if it's entirely Vista 32, or what, but here's a list of things that don't work properly for me.

-Melodyne (freezes up immediately, must shut down in task mgr)

-Reaktor 5 (when loading an ensemble says "Reaktor 5 has stopped working)

-Kore 2 (when loading any patch based in Reaktor, freezes program indefinitely.)

-Winamp (crashes consistently after 2 or 3 song plays)

-Firefox (freezes up randomly, but consistenly. Process remains open indefinitely, prevents me from even being able to restart properly.)

I guess I should just post all this in the Help forum.

It's a brand new computer, it's a legit copy of Vista, as are all my plugins. I've uninstalled/reinstalled each at least a half a dozen times, but nothing changes.

I'm procrastinating the hassle, but I'm going to wipe Vista of here and put XP back on. My experiences with Vista have been absolutely awful so far. We have a PC with Vista set up at work, and I have probably equally as many problems with it, which helps to know it doesn't just seem to be *my* computer.

there's more to my computer use than music - i like the glitz that dx10 gives games, and vista's also more stable than xp is when you mod the crap out of it (like i did to xp).

a lot of what's on that list isn't vista 64 supported as according to their manufacturer websites, which is why i can't go that route.

out of curiosity, what mods are you running? and where can i find some?

also, the future is 64-bit! ADAPT OR DIE!:tomatoface:

out of curiosity, what mods are you running? and where can i find some?

also, the future is 64-bit! ADAPT OR DIE!:tomatoface:

i wasn't clear. i modded the crap out of xp, and vista alone will be more stable than modded xp.

they were mostly ui enhancements, including desktop sidebar, samurize, the rain-something collection of programs, and several hacks to allow for 3rd-party collections. if i had actually cleaned up after myself, there wouldn't be this issue =) by themselves they're not mods, but i used altered version of the programs that in turn altered my system to allow for better integration.