Hydrosymphonics (f-zero big blue)

djplayuhh

Y'know, it's usually good idea to post here and get your feedback *before* submitting. :> The judging process may take months; WIP boards aren't usually lightning fast but the turnaround is quite a bit quicker anyway.

I quickly listened through this earlier - it sounded quite good, like a spy-film music treatment. I need to listen again for more thoughts.

--Eino

Y'know, it's usually good idea to post here and get your feedback *before* submitting. :>

--Eino

OOOOPS LOL! Well I figured I worked quite a lot on it so I might as well submit and hope for the best instead of waiting for feedback followed by a longer wait. But that's my overconfidence speaking :tomatoface::-P:nicework:

Thanks man! :<

The J's might have an issue with the minimalism in this. A lot of the time, it's lead melody, background melody, and some soft legato strings somewhere in the background, and of course the percussion. They might have a problem with this sounding a bit empty. Then again, there's a lot of interpretation here, it's sounding nice and loud, production sounds good to me. It does follow the source's progression blindly, and while the melodies are deviated from, that might not be enough. This would be a nice addition to the F-Zero page, this version of a revised one.

My guess: NO, RESUB for it sounding a little too empty and the progression being the same as source.

Oh, nice work! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.

In terms of passing there are a few issues that'll probably get mentioned. Firstly, I think I'm hearing some clipping from 0:00-0:25, but that may be the cheap headphones I'm on right now. Also there might be an issue with the open hi-hat sample you're using. It sounds like the left channel cuts out mid-sample (e.g. 0:20) creating an odd panning effect that isn't too appealing on headphones.

Arrangement is pretty conservative, especially for such a short song and especially for one that repeats itself for the last half of the song.

Performance is pretty cool, maybe a tad mechanical, but still cool. I especially like 1:07-1:24. But man, this song would have been 10 times better imo if the drum track really rocked. It's ok as is, but it's pretty simple and it repeats with little variation on the main beat. What you need is a friend with a marching snare to really go to town on this sucker. That would be sweet.

All in all not bad, but I'd keep working on it, make it longer (you're teasing us at only 2mins), mix up the arrangement some more, and spice up the drum track.

Good luck at the panel!

Nice production. The strings didn't sound bad, except for the parts where it sounded more mechanical as mentioned- it's in parts where quick successive notes where it becomes more apparent. Use more actions with the lead instruments, like sustaining the notes or pitch bending.

I have no problem with the drums, except that the bass is overpowering in the beginning. It was muffling up some of the quieter notes.