*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Yannibubula'

big giant circles

Comments and stuff:

So I was stuck at work the other day for a tornado warning and they wouldn't let us leave until it had passed, so I decided to have some fun. I've done these sort of improvs before, but I'm not THAT proficient as a pianist, and my prior goofings-around have been filled with all sorts of finger-flubs and melodic-mishaps. I wish I could say that this is the natural, unedited outcome, but I'd be misrepresenting the entire truth if I did. I can say that it IS 100% improve, but I admit I cheated a bit. Instead of actually recording the audio, I recorded onto a MIDI out channel that was routed into the Fantom, and played at a more, ah, comfortable pace. Since there's no consistent rhythm, I recorded the whole thing at 140 bpm and then sped it up (and in some cases slowed it waaay down) mostly anywhere from 165 - 200 bpm.

At any rate, for those who are scratching their heads to the mix title, it's intended to be a fusion of the musical styles of Yanni (New Age-ish pianist) and Shnabubula, who remains the most adept pianist I have ever met or seen, I ran it by him the other day and he seemed to get a kick out of it, so I'm hoping that means I didn't screw it up too badly ;) And I don't' really listen to Yanni, but my mom had his "Live at the Acropolis" CD and I remember listening to it a couple times years and years ago.

I've not busted out the stopwatch, but I'm aware it does tend to get a bit liberal, but hopefully the connection to the source remains noticeable despite the liberties I took in altering it's exactness.

And pre-emptively: Larry, kill u.

I've not busted out the stopwatch, but I'm aware it does tend to get a bit liberal, but hopefully the connection to the source remains noticeable despite the liberties I took in altering it's exactness.

And pre-emptively: Larry, kill u

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/14690 - Tracks 1, 2 & 6

Yep, and you know I'm gonna bust your chops on using the source. I have to keep you slackers honest. There's also 4 seconds of silence at the end that needs to be trimmed off. Here's what I got:

:27-1:06, 1:11.5-1:17, 1:18-1:23, 1:26-1:28, 1:31-1:37, 2:08.5-2:17, 2:27.5-2:38, 3:19-3:27, 3:43.75-3:51, 4:03-4:37

Unless stuff I didn't cite is from another game tune, or I'm missing some other usage, then this was just under what I'd consider a pass for overt source usage. I heard the way the source was arranged from 3:27-3:41, but felt it was too liberal given how drastically the rhythms & notes were altered. So I'd give it 125.75 seconds or about 45.4% source usage.

If you credit the section I felt was too liberal, it just squeaks by over 50% source usage, so I'll live. But that part was way too liberal and I'm a stickler who wouldn't count that for anyone else. So while I enjoyed the arrangement of course, you can enjoy a borderline NO from me. :lol:

I agree with Larry's numbers, except I'd also count the small bit at 3:58-4:03. 3:27-3:41 felt too liberal to count. But I must round differently than Larry, because that put me at 139/277* seconds, or 50.2%. When it's that close I hate stopwatching it anyway, so I pretty much went on feel, and by that it's a YES. It's cool to see you stepping out of your comfort zone, Jimmy, and totally succeeding. There are a couple moments that break up the flow like the introduction of the underground theme at 2:08, but for the most part I really liked your original writing and thought it made the sources sound like one piece.

YES (submit more)

*subtracting four seconds o' silence at the end

• 1 month later...

I'm going to go ahead and YES first, and listen later.

You guys know that shnabubula is the most talented musician in the community, bar none, right? Just checking.

ggggah...you have no idea how much it pains me to say this, but I think I agree with Larry on the source tune usage. Compare this to "Sugar, Water, Purple." That tune was a clear, creative extrapolation of a simple theme. That 5 note melody is obviously the foundation of the whole piece, which spends 5 minutes developing. This on the other hand, at times sounds like Sam was just playing whatever, occasionally remembering it's supposed to be based on mario, and then at other times it's got a cut and dry case of medlytits. There's no real direction or focus to it; it doesn't sound like a song. Not Shna's best work...

NO

This on the other hand, at times sounds like Sam was just playing whatever, occasionally remembering it's supposed to be based on mario, and then at other times it's got a cut and dry case of medlytits. There's no real direction or focus to it; it doesn't sound like a song. Not Shna's best work...

NO

I agree. Shame on you, Sam.

p.s. rooooooooooooooofl

• 4 weeks later...

Whatever happens to the vote here, this is a very cool piece and I would never guess that Jimmy arranged & performed it if I didn't already know. The source usage is certainly on the border but I would also point out that I don't think it makes sense to say "this second is source" "this one isn't" in situations where there are two blocks of source usage and a few seconds of original material connecting them. Yeah, an upwards arpeggio connecting two sections technically isn't source usage, but I simply wouldn't say it's original material in the same way a one-minute guitar solo over new chords is.

However, my main problem with this is that it is somewhat meandering. The intro and ending are well-defined, but the rest of the arrangement sort of lacks shape. It's hard to describe thoroughly, but I disagree with Vinnie that all the original material connects things. I'm more in line with Vig's opinion, where it seems like a piece that just phases in and out of Mario. It doesn't have much direction. Again, doesn't mean it's a bad mix, but when you combine that with the tenuous interpretation factor, I'm inclined to go

NO resub

Okay, fudge this I'm voting.

So, Jimmy, I love you but this is really liberal! I mean, your performance is excellent and I had no idea you were so awesome at improvisation but still.. It's sometimes hard to spot the source and it's many times no source at all. Even if the source usage is slightly over 50% I think the fact that it's so altered makes this less Super Mario Bros. Also, like Andy and Jesse pointed out, it lacks a cohesive feel. It feels like an original piece that sometimes plays a bit of Mario for shits and giggles.

Again, I really do love you and this is an awesome piece of music but I'm going to shoot you down.

NO(don't bother resubmitting, get a real life instead)

(I love you? Submit more!)

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I think this is both sophisticated and awesome, and I hear the mario theme distinctly throughout, but if a 'no, resub' will help to get these evil heathens on board with this one, then i'll help speed it along.

You damn sure had better resub this, though, or I will seriously cry the most emo tears imaginable.

no, resub