Need help figuring out why my sound card won't record.

I used to use a little mp3 program to record whatever the sound card was playing on my old XP computer. Everything worked fine back in the day. Now I have this new Vista computer and about 10 freeware sound recording programs later and about a hundred trips to the mixer panel of my card, I still can't get anything to record the sound it plays. I have a SB Audigy PCI sound card installed along all the software that came on the CD. I just updated the drivers and software last night. Installed on the computer are: Creative Audio Center, Audio Console; MediaSource Player and Organizer, MediaSource 5 Player and Organizer, MediaSource Audio Converter; and Wave Studio 7. I tried Wave Studio to record, along with several other generic programs on the net, but when the recording is finished, nothing plays back. I open up the wave file and it contains nothing. It's like something is muted somwhere but I've been through all the channels the card is offering. For Recording, I have Mic, S/PDIF-In, and Line-In. The volumes are all maxed out for those three. For playback, I have S/PDIF-In, Auxiliary, Line-In, and Mic. Only one of those can be on at a time. The others are muted, but the volume slider is still maxed on all of them. I've tried selecting each individual channel to record from in all the programs I used, but I get no sound at all to the recording. I have sound coming out of my speakers, as normal. But nothing for the recordings.

Thanks.

I'm guessing it's the drivers for your sound card. I've had the same problem previously where the makers stripped out the ability to select Stereo Mix as a recording option (apparently, pressure from the RIAA or something to prevent recording, but who knows). My issue was on a dell laptop with it's default drivers. Googling the issue eventually led me to a set of drivers from the same manufacturer that allowed recording. Anyway, if you can locate drivers for the card that allow Stereo Mix recording, you should be set.