Silent Hill Discussion

Night10194

I just started playing SH3 right, and before I get too far in the game... I was wondering if there was any advice you guys could give me to avoid a bad ending. The water ending of SH2 really killed the game for me.

In Water= best video game ending ever. It tore my heart out and stomped on it, and I loved every second.

As for SH3, the endings aren't as different (I think there's only 2 not including the UFO one) so as to warrant trying to avoid one or the other. There is a definitive "good" ending, but the "bad" ending isn't bad enough to ruin the game. Only minor differences, really.

On another note, can anyone direct me to a site with some Silent Hill art, preferably good art?

I just started playing SH3 right, and before I get too far in the game... I was wondering if there was any advice you guys could give me to avoid a bad ending. The water ending of SH2 really killed the game for me.

In Water= best video game ending ever. It tore my heart out and stomped on it, and I loved every second.

Ironically, I thought the same thing... Except for the loving part. Yes it did tear my heart out and stomp on it, but I was dissapointed.

on another note, can anyone direct me to a site with some Silent Hill art, preferably good art?

Hah! Insubstantial! I've never seen any good SH art, online that is. I guess I can whip together some fan art for the hell of it.

Ironically, I thought the same thing... Except for the loving part. Yes it did tear my heart out and stomp on it, but I was dissapointed.

Are you the type of person who needs a happy ending?

If so, that's rather lame, dude.

on another note, can anyone direct me to a site with some Silent Hill art, preferably good art?

Hah! Insubstantial! I've never seen any good SH art, online that is. I guess I can whip together some fan art for the hell of it.

There's some deccent-good SH fan art on Deviant Art. I'd post them, but I'll be damned, I can't remember where I put them...

Actually, if you take a little time to look around the sites, you'll see that there actually is a great collection of Silent Hill fanart on the internet. Although there isn't a site dedicated to such a collection, I thought I'd post a few of my favorites.

Lily Kane (aka Lea) - Lea is a phenominal artist who creates incredible pen and ink drawings of almost every main and supporting character in the Silent Hill series. I have loved her work for years now, however, much of her work is only available on deviantart.com. Luckily, she will be transfering her portfolio to her main website. Her use of lines and expressions draws you into the minor details of the pictures, which is what makes the works so unique. I'd suggest looking though her gallery not just for the Silent Hill material, but for much of her other game fanart as well. Warning: Some Material is Not Work-Appropriate

- Victim 11

- Victim 16

- Victim 17

- Victim 18

- Victim 19

- Victim 21

Dorian Wilde Gray - This is a very perceptive and devoted fan to the Silent Hill series who focuses on creating his own SH-inspired fanart. He uses sketches, photos and computer software to create some fantastic imagery. Though, most of his fanart has been pushed aside by his own project: SHINPA, it still contains a great deal of originality and faithfulness to the series. Check it out if you can. (Just watch out for his Walter Sullivan narcissism.)

Mark Patraw (aka kramwartap) - This is the guy who created the statue figuerines of the monsters from the games. However, what I'd like to focus on are the drawings from the first game, which have an elaborate use of symbols and details adding to the creepy but appropriate nature. As far as the statues are concerned, they have come a long way from the first ones, but still need to catch up to stuff like this. (Hopefully sooner or later, he'll learn to adjust the focus on his camera correctly.)

Old Silent Hill (Colored) by njay - This guy doesn't normally do SH fanart, but for the one image that he did do, it's a keeper! The style is very much in the modern anime genre, but it still adheres to the coloring patterns and texture methods used in the games. (You gotta love the look on Douglas' face.)

Silent Poon - If you're going to do a section on fanart, you gotta include flash art. Now, despite that this is actually a parody of Silent Hill 2 with a crossover from the artist's original characters, this does have a charm of its own. Granted I would have liked to have shown you all something with better artwork in the feature, yet nothing else exists. (Calling all flash artists and SH fans, "Make more Silent Hill Flash movies!") Warning: Material is Not Work-Appropriate

Silent Hill Snoots by snoot (aka Snootsville) - Everyone loves cute drawings of cute things, but what about cute drawings of ugly things? Well, here is the result. (Don't you just love it?)

Your Rain - Silent Hill 4 by bear-of-evil - Creepy, just creepy.

Clockwork Little Happiness by zombiehunter - This is another drawing in the cartoon/anime genre, but was inspired by the cosplay images of the 17-year-old girl who really looked like Heather Morris (character, not the actress). Therefore, the image has a more younger look than the game does, but still keeps its attention to detail and facial expressions. (Plus, pantyshots! Whoo! [/sarcasm])

SH3 Shotgun'd by sachsen - Self-explanitory.

Stained - Silent Hill by neofox - An awesome little pencil drawing that reflects that sadness and quiet pain that some people experience while playing the games. Despite it's simple style and structure, it is emotionally powerful.

Henry Townsend by doctajules - Ladies, if you thought Henry was sexy before, then get ready to have your hearts captured again. (Whoo! [/sarcasm]) Anyway, technically speaking, the image is interesting because of the impressionistic style of painting and the bright, soft use of colors. Tres cool.

Halo of the Sun - Silent Hill by Teagle - I don't think this qualifies as fanart, but every fan needs a t-shirt with the Halo of the Sun branded on it. Fashion for the masses. (I really gotta get me one of those. *Carefully wipes drool away from mouth*)

Silent Hill Obsession 2 by absinthe-girl - This picture is tricky. While looking like a computer-modified image, it is actually hand-drawn with a classic grain-filter placed over the whole thing. Op-Art? Maybe.

Well, I think that is enough for now. I hope you see that there really is some great SH fanart out there. However, I have to admit that the stuff I was really looking for, I couldn't find. If only I still had DC++ hooked up to my computer, I could show you what I mean. Well, anyway, I wanted to be nicer than the usually OCR-mentality of saying, "Google + Image search." That really bugs me, because usually you get bogged down by a lot of crap that you'll have to sort through on your own. [/tangent].

Well, actually, I've saved the best fanart for last: Silent Hill 3 Animated GIFs!!! These files contain images from the game's cut-scenes as well as manipulated gameplay. The files have not been editted by watermarks or other printings. Also, they are sized to fit easily on a signature, making these files ideal for sig-production. (Gentlemen, start your Photoshops!)

Coming Soon: Theories on the monster associations from SH4, possible interpretations of the Possessed Ending from SH3 and explanations/theories about SH: Among the Damned. (It's really not as bad a people make it out to be. It's also the better of the Silent Hill comics, granted not the best, but I'll explain that in my post.)

As for SH3, the endings aren't as different (I think there's only 2 not including the UFO one) so as to warrant trying to avoid one or the other. There is a definitive "good" ending, but the "bad" ending isn't bad enough to ruin the game. Only minor differences, really.

On another note, can anyone direct me to a site with some Silent Hill art, preferably good art?

The In-Water ending is definately the most ironic.

"Do what's best for you James" God it makes me shiver.

On a side note, while I think the In-Water ending is the best ending, and so far, it's the real ending of SH2, I still prefer the leave ending, because it's just so damn peaceful. It's like being smashed in the face with a shovel, only to wake up a minute later upstairs in your grandma's house, with fresh bread being cooked downstairs in the kitchen or something. Maybe that's not the best description, but it's a nice contrast. It's almost too surreal to be good...but it is.

Not much new, but it seems like we'll be seeing a trailer soon. Especially since they have finished filming. Just editing and special effect left now.

I'm still very worried that it will suck, big-time. Ofcourse, I will still see it. I mean, it's Silent Hill. I just hope that's not what the director/producers is playing off of...

Not much new, but it seems like we'll be seeing a trailer soon. Especially since they have finished filming. Just editing and special effect left now.

I'm still very worried that it will suck, big-time. Ofcourse, I will still see it. I mean, it's Silent Hill. I just hope that's not what the director/producers is playing off of...

If anything, the soundtrack will be awesome, since its done by Yamaoka.

But I have a feeling the movie will turn out well.

They captured the visual look of the town of Silent Hill at least.

They did? I can't really agree, from what has been revealed so far. On the pictures I've seen, it's either not dark enough, or not enough mist in the air. Mist is something they need to have, to get that SH effect completely. I love the mist.

They did? I can't really agree, from what has been revealed so far. On the pictures I've seen, it's either not dark enough, or not enough mist in the air. Mist is something they need to have, to get that SH effect completely. I love the mist.

Computer generated special effects don't occur naturally in real life, thus making them hard to photograph.

Do you realize how much water vapor you'd have to generate in order to make sure it clumps together and doesn't assimilate into outdoor air?

EDIT- And even IF they decided to do it the natural way and create real mist, it would obfuscate the promo pictures of the set. Nobody wants to look at a photo from the movie and ask "What is that?". The pictures are to show the set design and structures of the movie, which is why they would take them without the mist present.

Does anybody else get a sinking feeling when they mention a "demon in the form of a little girl?"

I'm trying to remain opitimistic of course, but I think of Silent Hill: Dying Inside with that little girls sarcastic comments every other panel. And even then...Ringu/Ring/Ring2/The Grudge/Fear dot com

I mean...yeah...but most of all no Silent Hill: Dying Inside little demon girl. Please.

Does anybody else get a sinking feeling when they mention a "demon in the form of a little girl?"

I'm trying to remain opitimistic of course, but I think of Silent Hill: Dying Inside with that little girls sarcastic comments every other panel. And even then...Ringu/Ring/Ring2/The Grudge/Fear dot com

I mean...yeah...but most of all no Silent Hill: Dying Inside little demon girl. Please.

The silent hill comics have been a major dissapointment. Honestly, what the fuck?

SH3 Update, I'm a bit more than half way through the game and I'm quite pleased or rather scared.

As for happy endings in games? Yes I do like them. I like them a lot. Not because everyone lives happily ever after but because I like feel like I accomplished something. SH2's water ending just said "Way to go! YOU SUCK" Striving to succeed only to fail is not something I enjoy paying $20-$50 for.

BTW I like Heather a lot more than James, because I he's a pussy.

SH2's water ending just said "Way to go! YOU SUCK" Striving to succeed only to fail is not something I enjoy paying $20-$50 for.

Do you know how you got that ending?

I thought it had to do with examining the knife too much and looking at certain things.

SH2's water ending just said "Way to go! YOU SUCK" Striving to succeed only to fail is not something I enjoy paying $20-$50 for.

How trite.

Do you have no appreciation of art or masterful storytelling? What about appreciation of characterization?

You obviously have none if you didn't like Silent Hill 2 because James was a "pussy".

Kindly take your cultureless hands off my Silent Hill franchise, please.

Do you know how you got that ending?

I thought it had to do with examining the knife too much and looking at certain things.

Looking at the knife alot was part of it. The reason you got the ending was because you had James deplict characteristics that would lead to suicide. Like keeping your health low for long periods of time.

EDIT: UE, ouch. I sort of agree but damn that was harsh.

How trite.

Do you have no appreciation of art or masterful storytelling? What about appreciation of characterization?

You obviously have none if you didn't like Silent Hill 2 because James was a "pussy".

Dude, The SH franchise belongs to you as much as the internet does to Gore, chill.

And like it's been said already, you get the ending determined by how you played the game. The first time I beat SH2 I got the Leave ending and I was pretty pleased with that, as it reflected how I thought the story should be resolved. Any supposed 'true' ending be damned.

Really, you should be happy the devs actually take the time to do these extra endings, it truly is a rarity in games these days.

How trite.

Dude, The SH franchise belongs to you as much as the internet does to Gore, chill.

No, it belongs to me. The first name on my birth certificate reads "Konami".

So there.