Performing VG arrangements for money? (royalties etc.)

Dafydd

I sing in a choir and would be interested in rearranging various game music to be performed by said choir on stage at a concert which the audience would have to pay a small amount of money to attend.

Do I need some kind of permission from Nintendo (or whoever) to rearrange and perform their music commercially? Take the Megas, the One Ups, Game Over, etc. They all play for money (or at least they sell records). Do they give royalties to the original creators somehow?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Nintendo and other video game companies really have too much of a problem with it or all these bands wouldn't exist and have myspace accounts, tours, and live contest performances all accross the country. I think if most bands want a choir in their songs, they would just use a keyboard. Its cheap, always hits the rights notes, and doesn't cost anything more than the keyboard costs. I know my keyboard has never let me down or been late to a recording session!

But seriously though, if you can find work doing this, more power to ya!

Powerglove and Arm Cannon are another couple awesome cover bands,

I sing in a choir and would be interested in rearranging various game music to be performed by said choir on stage at a concert which the audience would have to pay a small amount of money to attend.

Do I need some kind of permission from Nintendo (or whoever) to rearrange and perform their music commercially? Take the Megas, the One Ups, Game Over, etc. They all play for money (or at least they sell records). Do they give royalties to the original creators somehow?

Short Answer: You'd need explicit written permission from Nintendo (or copyright owner) to create a derivative work from their material and sell it commercially. Not likely to happen.

Long Answer: It depends on the band on how they handle the copyrights (and I don't know for those specific examples, though Zircon might). The only truly legal way to go about something like this is if you created a direct cover of a song and went through a licensing agency like Harry Fox to pay the original artist a licensing fee to utilize their material. Sadly, I don't think most game cover bands do this, so technically it's not kosher.

Now, as said above, you're talking about rearranging material and selling it/charging for attendance in a commercial venue. Technically, this isn't possible unless you have permission from the original artist to create a derivative version of their material. The licensing method above only applies for covers, not rearrangements. Now, if you're still set on the idea and want to make your best effort to do it properly, I guess you could call your material "covers" of the original and pay licensing fees to the copyright holder.

I'd recommend looking for already licensed arrangements of songs you're looking for; they may actually exist with some of the new game concert crazes you see. Then just "arrange" the legal music under the context of adapting for your performing group. Kinda touts the line, but everyone gets paid, probably wouldn't upset anyone. In the U.S. there might be performance rights issues, but if it's international music? Well maybe I dunno lol.