Angels and Demons

JJT

For the record, trying to prevent people from dying != preventing people from dying.

SPOILERS ABOUND:

1) Langdon is manipulated (easily I might add) by the Carmelengo for most of the story until Richter (who solves the puzzle ages before Langdon does) feeds him the answer in his last, frustrated living act.

2) Did I mention that Langdon's bumbling gets Richter killed right just before he is able to bring the Carmelengo to justice?

3) Add to that the scores of Swiss Guardsman Langdon blindly leads to an untimely, horrific death.

I'm sorry. Langdon may be a realistic protagonist, but there is just nothing compelling about the man. He gets lead around by the nose for 90% of the movie. Stimulus/response: feed him a religious symbol and watch him hop in a Fiat and drive across town to whatever Catholic shrine happens to face east towards the rising sun or whatever ridiculous clue you want to infer from the writings of Archimedes.

I have no idea what it is about this movie that makes me so passionate, but boy does it piss me off the more I think about it.

He gets lead around by the nose for 90% of the movie. Stimulus/response: feed him a religious symbol and watch him hop in a Fiat and drive across town to whatever Catholic shrine happens to face east towards the rising sun or whatever ridiculous clue you want to infer from the writings of Archimedes.

Did you honestly expect anything else from this movie?

For the record, trying to prevent people from dying != preventing people from dying.

SPOILERS ABOUND:

1) Langdon is manipulated (easily I might add) by the Carmelengo for most of the story until Richter (who solves the puzzle ages before Langdon does) feeds him the answer in his last, frustrated living act.

2) Did I mention that Langdon's bumbling gets Richter killed right just before he is able to bring the Carmelengo to justice?

3) Add to that the scores of Swiss Guardsman Langdon blindly leads to an untimely, horrific death.

I'm sorry. Langdon may be a realistic protagonist, but there is just nothing compelling about the man. He gets lead around by the nose for 90% of the movie. Stimulus/response: feed him a religious symbol and watch him hop in a Fiat and drive across town to whatever Catholic shrine happens to face east towards the rising sun or whatever ridiculous clue you want to infer from the writings of Archimedes.

I have no idea what it is about this movie that makes me so passionate, but boy does it piss me off the more I think about it.

All I remember of the character was how, in the first movie, he stands there getting all sweaty and panicked in front of a cop, which, of course makes him look suspicious, and then, when asked if he's okay, just makes himself look even more suspicious by not replying at all. He's a professor, it shouldn't be to difficult for him to spit out "I'm claustrophobic."

So how IS the movie compared to the book? I'm a masochist, and have actually read all of Dan Brown's books (up to this point; I know a fifth is due out this year). So I'm curious.

I wish they'd make movies of the other two books though. If I have to sit through flicks riddled with inconsistencies, I'd prefer them to have a lot of surplus military grade weaponry firing at people.

Though admittedly, the typhoon at the end of Deception Point might be hard to CGI.

Langdon was pretty much the only character with his head on straight. But he does kind of come across as being dragged around, but what do you expect with a story about Vatican conspiracy?

I dunno, I guess it was alright. I never read the book but I hear Langdon does even crazier things in it.

Loved the book. Hated the movie.

"Hey guys, let's strip out every major subplot and instead spend the whole movie throwing the camera around while the filmmakers suck up to the Vatican because of how 'damning' da Vinci Code was! What a great idea for a movie!"

No. No it wasn't. I was bored to tears.