Robo on Parade 6-2-09

Update:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tqemdmzm0uo

EDIT: Oh yeah, YT link to source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWf_T0jdgQ

I did want this to be a sort of march, mostly because I wanted to play with sequencing a drum line. This is still early in this thing and it's not very complex, so it's pretty repetitive.

Questions, comments, hate mail, trolling, all welcome. More or less.

-H

Hellooo~ march!

Like I've said before, the idea is very neat (I personally have a difficult time not thinking Robo Roll with that source so kudos for not making another mix like that, lol). I think you made the instrumentation quite a bit thicker than the last mix I heard of it - that really helps the sound a lot :-o.

As for the snares and such, I think you've got it going alright, really (I went out and actually figured out what sound you were actually trying to go for - marching band vs concert band - you could probably tell where I fit in, lol). The percussion is quite complex and varied. I still think the snare could use a bit more 'snare', though (the metal set of springs on the bottom of the drum is called the 'snare' - it gives the instrument that distinct sound rather than another tom). The bass sounds a bit stronger than last time, but I feel it needs to be more dominant then that throughout, if you really want to put the march in band, here!

I'm sure your not writing this for OCR due to the conservative nature of it (change in style, but nearly note-for-note), but I'd seriously consider an OLR submission of this when you feel satisfied with the mix. This is exactly the kind of stuff they want - unique, interesting interpretations of VG music :-P.

Keep it up!

I'm kinda torn on what to do with the marching snares honestly. The marching snares are like, Kevlar heads, very tight snares, and it's really just a pop sound, much less of like a drum set snare.

This was kinda something I did, I didn't figure without some expansion of the actual theme it's make submission standards anywhere. So, now I gotta ask: What's OLR?

As for instrumentation and humanizing. I'm just lazy. And I mean lazy. I have 2 trombones, 2 trumpets, french horns, flutes, claranets, alto and tenor saxes, baratones, and tuba parts. And I hasn't gotten around to humanizing all of them. The original robo tune had what almost amounts to triplets that I reworked due to the rigidity of the thing that I wanted to keep.

The same with humanizing of the bass drum and tuba parts. I'll be brining up individual notes (when I get off my lazy @$$ and work on this again :banghead:

Thanks again, I'll try to hammer out somefig by the end of the week.

OLR = OLRemix

Unlike OCRemix, they're purpose is gathering the most unconventional remixes on the internet on one site. Your interpretation here is absolutely perfect for that site (The music is often very good on the site, just not... well, normal :<).

Anyhow, your mix doesn't sound like OCR would accept it (conservative, very odd style - although I don't think that should matter... damn bigots :tomatoface:), I think OLR would be dying for a mix like this one.

Alright, that's OLR for ya - now I want to hear an update! RAWR :<!

Mixing is messy, I'm mostly hearing cymbals and lead brass. Backing brass doesn't sound good, foreground brass is passable imo.

I see no reason this wouldn't work on ocr, tho I don't remember the progression and arrangement of the source. Gario could be right about this following the source's progression too closely, you might want to ask a judge what they think.

Why not use the Never Gonna Give You Up intro drums (or the marching band equivalents on the same fill) before 2:42? :D

Concerning marching snares... aren't there a lot of those in marching bands? The resulting sound is, no matter how coordinated they are, that some of those snares would be heard before others, giving it more of the drum kit snare sound we all know. Why not use both, layered together where appropriate?

This follows the source progression spot on. I thickened the sounds with multiple instruments, but other than that, it's 1 for 1. I tried to do a halfway 'chord playing' bit where I had a measure or so of melody and a measure or so of percussion, it did not sound very good. So I outed it. (too long, messed up the flow) I pushed the bone, tuba, baratone, and trumpet. Left the rest playing about what is standard. What I'm not sure how to deal with is the muddiness of so many instruments playing the same thing. Technically, this is very close to the original, it just sounds meh. I don't know if I need to do more with less instruments or re-write parts. Because of the closeness to the source, this isn't prolly going to make it on OCR. I need to spam like 3 more posts on OLR to be able to post it over there.

As far as backing brass, the tuba and baritone parts are different than the rest of the song. The leads are always trumpet, bone, or French Horn. This last mix I upped the volume of them to try and bring out what was leading. Everything got pretty muddy though. I guess I can expand the clarinet part. It's only got a small part supporting the flute. There is no real brass on sort of a support position, it's all either trombone or trumpet leading.

I refuse to allow rick-roll into this! He is a lie made of shattered dreams! OH RICK! HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN!

In the marching band I was in, there were 5 snares. They really did sound like 1 instrument. It's amazing how on the beat and with it everyone in the snare section was. It's the snare sound that is just a short 'pop' that you and gario aren't used to. But I assure you, that's the marching sound. (there is a mechanical gear on the snares to allow you to tighten them to super-ultra pop tight. That's how tight they are :-)

I'll try to lower the cymbals some. they come across much more than I intended. I've played about everything on the drumline, and the cymbals get neglected a lot. (gotta be honest, I did this my freshman year, not the best players always make it) Still could be toned down a bit.

2:42 is that rest on 4 that I like. 'ah' I tried to put a piece in here that was a trade off with percussion and melody; but it just didn't work.

Well, Rozo, I'd actually hope that OCR would accept more pieces like this; even though I was half-joking in my earlier post, style still seems to be restricted on this site, sadly, although whether it is because people don't sub mixes like that or due to the opinions of the judges I can't say (considering the recent flux of interesting songs on the front page, it's probably the people not subbing enough music like that - but they are quite rare on this site, nonetheless :?)... although it's certainly too conservative for OCR (OLR doesn't have that restriction, I don't think - it's really the main reason I suggested it, not to mention the style is right up their alley :-o).

I refuse to allow rick-roll into this! He is a lie made of shattered dreams! OH RICK! HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN!

Rick Roll vs the Warrior Poet of OCR, ladies and gents.

If the snare is really the marching sound, you'd know better than I. Like I said, I was always stuck in concert band (like the nub I was :tomatoface:), so I trust your judgement (although I still say the bass drum is a bit too weak...).

Wow, the brass is really strong this time around! Nice job - that's what I wanted to hear!

I liked the little variations that you added - it adds quite a bit of flavor to the one-to-one approach you've taken to the theme :wink:.

It sounds like it's closing up there at the end, but the sudden cut off ending just doesn't sound natural. Instead of keeping all of that motion in the voices until the end I'd recommend sustaining a chord (or have the instruments move simultaneously, if they move at all) - keeping all of the voices moving at the end against each other there really implies that the music is going to move on.

Other than the ending I can't find much wrong with it. Great job!

:razz: I want to re-work the '2nd beginning' to make it softer, prolly take voices out and add a higher part there. That happens right after what I just added. And work on the ending. That's actually the first place where I have all the voices in unison, so I don't really want to lose that full sound. I tried some chord things at the end and didn't manage to get anything I liked. This is prolly a chord progression thing, but none of them sound right there.