Rain Dancing At The Spirit Temple- Serenade of Water ReMix

I'll admit that comment made me authentically scared of you, DS - no EQ yet it sounds great?!

I was tempted to send a PM or something asking for the secret to your success :tomatoface:.

*facepalm* I can't believe it's not butter.

He does EQ. I just don't see him using EQ so I thought he didn't.

He told me not to bother EQ'ing, so he's either shrugging off my problem or he's suggesting that you can make good sounds without EQ'ing.

Anyways enough about him. *facepalm* Gario you know that WIP checklist? Can you fetch that instead of your usual paragraph or two because I can understand when you guys tell me a problem, but then when you offer a solution I'm not sure if the problem was what I thought it was... So just tell me the problem.

You've demoted me to the checklist?! For shame...

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

PRODUCTION

[X] Too quiet

[X] Drums have no energy

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

THE CHECKLIST!! RAWR! :< Yeah, I personally don't care for it much, but if you insist :P.

The big problem your song still holds is that the textures are still far too static - you need more variety in the instrumentation and how the instruments are used. The arrangement of themes is great, but the overall soundscape of the music still doesn't sound like it ever changes - so even though it isn't repetitive or boring, it still sounds like it is because the overall soundscape and textures you use don't change enough.

For example (yes, I still give examples) - the texture of the bass only changes once. Having that bass repeat the same texture over and over hurts the song, overall.

I'll give you credit, though - the use of the themes are top notch, in this remix. You were rather clever in using such a short theme over such a long period of time, and I commend you for it. However, you also need to change up the stuff you composed for this every once in a while.

The drums actually do have energy (the almighty checklist is misleading :P), but they are too far in the background of the mix. Bring them into the front a little more.

Also, it's too quiet - turn everything up without having it clip. One of the purposes of EQing is to give the song some room to increase in volume. Look at your song through a program like Winamp or WMP and watch the bars - you'll notice that the song is loudest in the mid-bass area (yet completely lacking in whole upper range). The problem with area spikes like that is that you cannot increase the volume if even a single area spikes without some clipping - so if you lower that spike you'll give the piece some more room to increase in volume. EQ with the intent of lowering that mid-bass area a bit; that'll give you room to increase the volume without clipping.

Hey, that isn't very many things checked off from the list - meaning those other areas are spot on. Good work :-P.

You've demoted me to the checklist?! For shame...

THE CHECKLIST!! RAWR! :< Yeah, I personally don't care for it much, but if you insist :P.

The big problem your song still holds is that the textures are still far too static - you need more variety in the instrumentation and how the instruments are used. The arrangement of themes is great, but the overall soundscape of the music still doesn't sound like it ever changes - so even though it isn't repetitive or boring, it still sounds like it is because the overall soundscape and textures you use don't change enough.

For example (yes, I still give examples) - the texture of the bass only changes once. Having that bass repeat the same texture over and over hurts the song, overall.

I'll give you credit, though - the use of the themes are top notch, in this remix. You were rather clever in using such a short theme over such a long period of time, and I commend you for it. However, you also need to change up the stuff you composed for this every once in a while.

The drums actually do have energy (the almighty checklist is misleading :P), but they are too far in the background of the mix. Bring them into the front a little more.

Also, it's too quiet - turn everything up without having it clip. One of the purposes of EQing is to give the song some room to increase in volume. Look at your song through a program like Winamp or WMP and watch the bars - you'll notice that the song is loudest in the mid-bass area (yet completely lacking in whole upper range). The problem with area spikes like that is that you cannot increase the volume if even a single area spikes without some clipping - so if you lower that spike you'll give the piece some more room to increase in volume. EQ with the intent of lowering that mid-bass area a bit; that'll give you room to increase the volume without clipping.

Hey, that isn't very many things checked off from the list - meaning those other areas are spot on. Good work :-P.

Well actually, Gario, you STILL haven't listened to my recent version. It's louder (it's actually standard volume for FL Studio Projects now, before it was half)

So that just leaves me with two problems, one problem is to just drag the drums master volume higher. So that just leaves ONE problem!!! HOORAY.

And what do you mean " the texture doesn't change"?

Well actually, Gario, you STILL haven't listened to my recent version

http://neblixsaber.googlepages.com/R...iritTemple.mp3

Yes, I have, and it's still a bit too quiet - it should be a bit louder than that. If that's not the new version then you don't have it posted here.

I'll say it's close, and you might be able to get away with it as is... so you can make the call, if you'd like (hell, your brother could make that call better than I, so you can ask him about the volume). It's close, but I feel it's erring towards the quiet side, still. 2-3 more dbs would make it just right.

Perhaps I'm being picky - see if DS agrees with me, there; I'd like to know if I'm accurate about this assesment.

...one problem is to just drag the drums master volume higher.

Yup, that would do it... not too much, though :).

And what do you mean " the texture doesn't change"?

Texture - it refers to the patterns that you use in order to fill the space ('Block Chords' are a type of texture, while an arpeggio is another texture). You alternate between few textures in order to keep the space filled, which makes it sound repetitive when it actually is not. Look at the bass, for example - you use that wonderful bassline that imitates the ocarina melodies so well, but you overuse that shape/texture of the bass, as it only changes once in the song. Change the patterns that fill the space up a little more often and you'll find the music to be much more engaging than it is now (and it's pretty engaging now, so imagine if it was even more so?).

The texture is the real problematic issue with the song, at the moment - if you subbed it that would be the central complaint, right now. Vary the textures better throughout and you may have a serious contender, here.

Good luck with that :).

http://neblixsaber.googlepages.com/R...iritTemple.mp3

Yes, I have, and it's still a bit too quiet - it should be a bit louder than that. If that's not the new version then you don't have it posted here.

I'll say it's close, and you might be able to get away with it as is... so you can make the call, if you'd like (hell, your brother could make that call better than I, so you can ask him about the volume). It's close, but I feel it's erring towards the quiet side, still. 2-3 more dbs would make it just right.

Perhaps I'm being picky - see if DS agrees with me, there; I'd like to know if I'm accurate about this assesment.

Yup, that would do it... not too much, though :).

Texture - it refers to the patterns that you use in order to fill the space ('Block Chords' are a type of texture, while an arpeggio is another texture). You alternate between few textures in order to keep the space filled, which makes it sound repetitive when it actually is not. Look at the bass, for example - you use that wonderful bassline that imitates the ocarina melodies so well, but you overuse that shape/texture of the bass, as it only changes once in the song. Change the patterns that fill the space up a little more often and you'll find the music to be much more engaging than it is now (and it's pretty engaging now, so imagine if it was even more so?).

The texture is the real problematic issue with the song, at the moment - if you subbed it that would be the central complaint, right now. Vary the textures better throughout and you may have a serious contender, here.

Good luck with that :).

The main "problem" in your feedback is that you're asking Shariq to come in here and help you. That's just plain annoying actually because he's right next door he doesn't need to post his feedback he can just tell me. I'll ask Shariq about my remix when I feel that there's something new to show him. Until then, I'm asking fellow artists rather than a judge (he's just one judge while what he says is true he's not speaking for every other judge)

And thanks about the volume.

The Bass textures... well, I don't find them that annoying. I understand where you are coming from, there are two basslines that are assigned to each melody (when the Requiem plays you get the slightly creepier sounding one.) And there are only two basslines. The thing is, I'm really lazy when it comes to makin' original stuff. Are you asking me to alternate between those basslines a bit more? Or are you asking for MORE basslines?

Update: Instead of the Sine Wave holding out notes (I never really changed the notes of the Sax when I replaced it with the Sine Wave) it's now arpeggiated and panned left to right. Now it's a completely electronic sound. I think it adds a cool atmosphere.

Update 2: I added a little fun "ending" just so the "Rain Dancing" title won't go to waste...

NOTICE: For some reason, when I work on my remix in FL it sounds fine, but when I export as mp3 it sounds a little louder then it was in FL and it's clipping and it sounds bad... (the bass and sine wave clip with each other) So I had to lower the song's volume a teeny bit.

Oh jeez... I think I'm too tired right now... my mix has raised its pitch and sounds faster (in my head)... I really need to go do something else...