Goldeneye N64 Subterranean Caverns Remix

Hey hey...I'm currently working on a remix for the "Subterranean Caverns" level in Goldeneye N64. It's pretty much still a work in progress, but I would like some feedback on your opinion on how the track is going thus far :razz:.

This is my first post on OC, and also my first video game remix ever...So with that in mind, I know that there are still a lot of things that I need to work on such as dynamics, more guitar solos, and switching up the drums a bit more instead of following the ones from the original.

WIP Remix: http://adamantia.net/remixes/Cavernas_De_La_Muerte.mp3

Alternate Link to Remix: http://www.thesixtyone.com/destructionoftheseal/song/Cavernas+De+La+Muerte+%28Goldeneye+N64%3A+Caverns%29/57048/

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ7hc89EeEQ

Thanks in advance. :)

Haha, I recognize the metal hit sound in the source. Rare sound, pun intended. :D

I barely noticed when the snare came in, you gotta make change like that more noticeable. Hihat is really loud. There's a whiny synth in there that doesn't fit imo. Some weird melody clashes around 1:25. Clashes at 1:16, 1:33, 1:43... You probably have to change the ostinato backing melody to fit the chords.

2 minutes in, I'm getting sick of it. This has got to get more interesting to work. As far as I can tell, it hasnt done much but changed the sound of the source and repeated stuff. Yeah, the source isn't very varied either, but there's a spin on the 007 theme and all kinds of melodies in there. You've got a nice beat going, but nothing happens. It stays on the same level from 0:30 until 3:37 when there's a crash and it starts to fade. No matter where in there you listen you hear pretty much the same thing.

I'd say this is a nice start and a good foundation to build on, but it's not interesting enough to stand on its own as it doesn't go anywhere. Add some layers of melody, some new chord progressions, breakdowns... make it more interesting, make it go somewhere, and you'll have a pretty nice remix. Currently... it doesn't.

I just read your suggestions Rozo and I think i'm starting to write critiques in the same manner as you do - just not on the same level of course.

Someone shoot me please (007 i'm lookin at you).

But I agree with what has been said. It's not bad, but you can (should) take it places.

This is awesome in that fact that it covers the source tune from one of the greatest first person shooters ever. COVER being the key word. Its definitely not a bad track. I think the production is fairly decent. The bass kicks and the highs are decipherable from other highs and such.

I agree with Rozo on this one that after about 2 minutes it gets way too repetitive. Even though i noticed little instruments popping up when others fade out but they only play the same notes and not new ones. I think messing around with the arrangement to include the source as a chorus section and coming up with a new verse section. Maybe just a different drum beat with a bass line for 8 measures then some sort lead solo or choir part or something along those lines for the next 8 measures and then back to the chorus. And it ABSOLUTELY needs a breakdown in there somewhere to break the song up a little. I suppose thats why they call it a breakdown? ;)

Anyways, i really enjoyed the first half of the track til it got too repetitive and the hi-hats are definintely too loud for this mix.