Cave Story - Gestation/Mimiga Town - ReMix

zillford

This is my first serious attempt at audio production. I could really use some critiques, because I'm pretty in the dark currently. I did the sequencing with FLStudio and then recorded and did the final mix-down in CoolEditPro2.

I'm going to re-take a few of the male vocals for sour notes, breath control, etc. HOWEVER please -do- critique my processing work on all vocals, since that's the best set up I've found myself.

Again, I've got no formal training, so please hit me with even obvious stuff.

img.php?fid=259

Source 1:

Source 2:

This is my first serious attempt at audio production. I could really use some critiques, because I'm pretty in the dark currently. I did the sequencing with FLStudio and then recorded and did the final mix-down in CoolEditPro2.

I'm going to re-take a few of the male vocals for sour notes, breath control, etc. HOWEVER please -do- critique my processing work on all vocals, since that's the best set up I've found myself.

Again, I've got no formal training, so please hit me with even obvious stuff.

img.php?fid=259

Source 1:

Source 2:

pretty cool! Who's doing the vocals? Male voice sounds like he's singing through his nose a bit too much--it could be contributing the intonation issues, and i also find that it's a little harder to understand his lyrics. girl vocals sound pretty good! I like the lyrics too!

I like the sounds you use in the beginning a lot. snare drum sounds a little too fake for my tastes. Careful of the harmony at 2:00, the change to minor didn't settle right for me at all. Make sure everything is playing in the same key!

As far as the vocal processing goes, I think it sounds pretty good overall! Every once and a while though, I'll hear the white noise in the background. try putting a noise gate behind it, maybe run it through some noise removal progam, or even just trying to eq the noise out without sacrificing the vocal quality (which is pretty good actually). It's pretty noticable when you start and end a vocal clip because of the noise.

The arrangement is pretty interesting. You really don't deviate much at all from the actual source, but I think the re-instrumentation, vocals+lyrics, and the few changes you did make keep it okay. I find it interesting that this never really picks up, I'm expecting it to the entire time. That's okay though! Not a bad thing.

I'm sure other people here will be able to help you better than I will with the vocal processing. I think the two things that are most glaring to me are the male intonation and the noise in the clips. Sounds pretty great so far though! I love hearing vocal wips/mixes. Good luck :D

The bass drum in the intro bothers me, it sounds like something I used 8 years ago when i had just picked up a tracker. And it wasn't good. The backing is overall kind'a weak.

Vocals are pretty cool, but there's something off. Have you sued any reverb on them, cuz I would suggest you need more reverb. You might also want to even them out, the female voice sounds like she's holding back and makes it a little too soft to make out what she's singing sometimes.

The backing sounds a little weak. Doug's Moon Rhapsody has a lot of strength in it, despite being a pretty soft track. Learn from it.

Source is undoubtedly there, used well. The vocal melodies first felt a little forced, but there's been worse forced vocals posted on ocr. I don't have a problem with them here. The lyrics are pretty cool, closely tied to the game. :D

I'd say this mostly needs better backing, tho some further vocals processing wouldn't hurt. Great track, good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...