DJ Mix - Alter Nights (3 Disc)

Beatdrop

Hey everyone,

As a number of you no doubt already know, I've been DJing in the past few months at a night club here in Hawaii called Alter Solum. Prior to this, I've released a number of digitally concocted DJ mixes for everyone's listening pleasure with the sole purpose of introducing people to music that I'm particularly fond of at any given time.

Well, having had some actual experience DJing in the traditional sense, I've learned a LOT about the entire process. My understanding of it is about 100 times greater than it was before. And in honor of my public appearances performing as a DJ, which I'm sure none of you have been able to witness, I'm releasing this three part set of mixes created in the same fashion as my older ones, but utilizing new techniques to provide a much more realistic demonstration of what you could expect from me at the club. Plus, every single one of these songs has been utilized in a live mix at one time or another.

alter-nights.jpg

The title, Alter Nights is obviously a play on the name of the club fashioned around the concept that depending on what night it is determines what style you might hear me spinning. (The disc names link to the MP3s of the mixes.)

disc 1 - "dies Iovus"

Thursday night is a 16-and-up event called "Kandi Thursdays," and tends to draw in a pretty collossal crowd. A lot of the younger kids that come on this night have some pretty badass breakdancing skills, so I like to spin breaks to give them the opportunity to show what they've got to suitable music.

01) Adam Freeland - Under Control (Alex Metric Remix)

02) Moby - Alice (General MIDI Remix)

03) Atomic Hooligan - Papercuts (Original Mix)

04) Quadrat Beat - Hive Inside (VIP Mix)

05) Kiwa - Drop Control

06) Splitloop - Keep Running (feat. Marvel)

07) The Prodigy - Thunder

08) General MIDI - Turn It Loud (feat. MC Chickaboo)

09) The Chemical Brothers - The Test

10) Leftfield - Africa Shox (feat. Afrika Bambataa)

11) The Rogue Element - Calm

12) Parallax Breaks - Nitro (Original Mix)

13) Seth Vogt - On Your Own (feat. Goldillox) (DNF Remix)

14) Spark & Fisso - You Are Right (Eshericks Remix)

disc 2 - "dies Veneris"

Friday night is another particularly popular night in terms of attendance, and also happens to be night of the week that I first spun at Alter Solum. In attempt to appease the majority of the audience, I spin House, which I think is the most fun to play around with. I'm pretty particular about this genre, though, so I pick and choose my tracks very carefully.

01) Celldweller - Klash Up (Cinco de Mayo 2009)

02) The Young Punx - MASHitUP (feat. Laura Kidd)

03) The Rogue Element vs. Tom Real & Disco of Doom - The Click (Fucking Zombie Remix)

04) Revolte - Fucking On Music (Oliver Giacomotto Kill Em All Mix)

05) Soundsex - Tension (Beatdrop Remix)

06) Dave Aude - Push That Thing (2008 Remix)

07) Jerome Isma-Ae & Roy Stroebel - Vila Nova (Max Graham Remix)

08) Pryda - Lift (Original Mix)

09) Emilia Majello - Back To Me (The Young Punx Club Remix)

10) Offer Nissim - I'm In Love (Etienne Ozborne Remix)

11) Gavo - Explosive!

12) Sia - Buttons (Filterheadz Remix)

13) Lee Coombs - Control (The Rogue Element Remix)

14) The Crystal Method - Trip Like I Do (Tom Real vs. The Rogue Element Remix)

disc 3 - "dies Saturni"

Lastly, Saturday nights have historically been a bit lackluster due to competition, usually only pulling in the diehard fans of the club, although some Saturdays have had surprising turn-outs. Since I no longer have to even attempt to play by the "rules" (I use the word loosely), I'll throw down a little combination of Psytrance and Hard Dance, which blend really nicely. This stuff gets me pretty pumped, so I'm almost certainly at my liveliest when I'm spinning it.

01) Logica - The True Value

02) Phanatic & Ananda Shake - Phananda (Original Mix)

03) Volcano - Keep Movin

04) Celldweller - Switchback (Zikimoto Remix)

05) Day.din - Dance With Me

06) Intersys - Demolution

07) ITP - The People Are Fucked

08) Shanti - Strictly Business

09) Bang Brothers - I Wanna

10) Chris Comben - Body Movin

11) Dave Curtis - Hard House Rools

12) Scott Attrill - Get To It

13) BK & Judge Jules - Sickness

14) Re:Locate & Mark Sixma - Piranha

Following suit with the club's use of Latin in its name, I elected to use the Latin names for the days of the week instead of the boring old English ones. :)

If you're a FaceBook user, you can head HERE to view some photos of the club and me getting my mix on, if that sort of thing strikes your fancy (you'll need to be logged into FaceBook for the link to work). For non-FaceBook users, I'll likely be mirroring these photos elsewhere sometime soon, so... be patient?

Needless to say, I've had a blast doing it, and I look forward to making it a half of my musical career plans from here on out. But until I'm headlining a club near you (hahaaaaa...), I hope you enjoy these mixes.

also what is a vip mix? is there some sort of specific pattern to how it gets remixed or something, is there a guy named vip? i honestly haven't a clue

From what I understand, a VIP mix of a song is a remix done by the original artist intended for "very important persons," i.e. select DJs and the like. Some VIP mixes end up getting released to the public at large, though, such as the one I used.