*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Acid Rain'

djpretzel

email sub file Acid Rain.mp3 - djp

Greetings DJ Pretzel!

I wrote you an e-mail a while ago concerning a type of mix you might allow on your site, However I realize you are a VERY VERY busy man. So……… I figured heck why not let you see what I’m made of and see if the idea is even worth questioning. (lol)

About Me and This Mix:

The idea for this mix came along while I was snagging a brand new emulator for my computer off the net. Upon playing all of my Sonic games I realized that they quite possibly have the greatest possibilities of mixing up their music out of any game I’ve played. But then again that wouldn’t be fair b/c virtually all video game music kicks ass in its own “special” way. (w00t!)

First off, I should mention that I hate the traditional techno that repeats for hours on end with absolutely NO musical talent required to make. So I cranked out this rendition of Sonic 2’s chemical plant zone with lots of hard work, grinded teeth, and many nights of Easy-Mac and cereal at 2 in the morning.

Inside the mix lie several effects and voices which I think you would take appeal to. The flanged water moog bassline and the TS404 synthesizing are among some of my favorites. Like I mentioned before, anyone can make a repetitive piece of MP3 garbage, so with respect to this problem I had one solution…….SOLOS!!! Whooo!! I used the melody which everyone will recognize as the chorus while opening up respective sections for other instrumental solos……….oh and did I mention this is techno funk???

I think you will enjoy the musicianship skills I had to apply to make this little number. The bass lines sound something I would expect from BT so needless to say I was pleased with the overall effect of mix :)

I would also like to say that I appreciate all the hard work from dedicated mixers such as yourself and McVaffe that give songwriters like me a role model to look up to. I love your work!!! Thanks again!

I also want to apologize for making this an attachment file, but my server site is having problems with me posting up the downloadable mixes for you… sorry!

Ok here’s the good stuff…

ID3v1 tag:

Title: Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Acid Rain OCReMix

Artist: Vertigo

Year : Nov. 24, 2003

Genre: Techno funk/groove

Comment: http://remix.overclocked.org

ID3v2 Tag:

Original Artist: Masato Nakamura

Copyright: © Sega 1992

URL: http://remix.overclocked.org

Accredit to: Vertigo

My E-mail: Squall57Gunblade@aol.com

My Actual Name: Clint J. Hanson

Hope you enjoy it!

Sincerely,

Vertigo

Lots of cool variation and skill here. However, the synths are so ugly and annoying that the experience is ruined. The original sounds way better than this remix, unfortunately. More care is needed in the soundquality factor here.

Very nice variation. Its spot on. Just fix the synths. Namely the aweful bass and the reverb chime-square in the back.

NO

I hate that wonky synth that comes in the beginning. It's not that it's not super horrible. It's just right at the forefront of the mix, and it drowns other stuff out. It's too loud. I think you mentioned that it's the bass?

Bass is supposed to provide the groundwork for a piece; not be the main thing the listener hears throughout the entire song. Push it back.

Your solos are pretty good, but it's hard to really hear them because of that synth.

This mix sounds kind of of empty too; consider taking the bass down, adding some harmonic support, like chords in some instrument. The original song has a great driving funk quality with real strong melodic grooves, and that seems to be lost here.

NO

Yeahhhhhh.... Prince is right. That WONK... WONK WONKY WONK synth is like Germany and the rest of the piece is France. My question is, can't we all just get along? I would recommend, as the other judges have stated, sitting down with this piece with a gem-cutter's eyepiece and really fine-tuning the hell out of this piece. The other thing I notice is that huge discrepency between ranges. You've got the juggernaut WONK synth and the tinny melody synth, drums and little to nothing else. Some sort of filler would help immensely.

As it stands, it's not eq'ed very well, and it's a hollow, waiting for something to fill it to the brim.

No

Not much else to say here. The synths don't mesh with each other, the mixing is extremely sloppy, the percussion is a virtually nonexistant mess of low quality samples. The electric piano is completely out of place here. Rarely more than two voices going at once, it's extrmely bare.

Add some harmony, spend some time on mastering, and you'll have something worthwhile. As of now, NO.

-D