*NO* Rad Racer 'Rad Raver'

djpretzel

Man, I feel like I'm judging IMC again. I got a S|r Nuts mix and a Sadorf mix in this batch to judge. XD

Okay. So this mix; it's pretty cool. I love nearly all the sounds used in this mix. Lots of cool gated stuff going on in the leads, and the mix progresses quite nicely. Percussion is pretty stock for the most part; I expected a bit more from Nuts, listening to some of his previous works. Gets the job done, though.

The synth that comes in at 1:33 is a bit harsh, but I get used to it after a while. It fits the mood of the piece pretty well.

The synth that comes in around 2:50 and defilters at 3:00 could have had a quicker decay though. Seems to be blending together, and I think something more defined that didn't fill up my ears would have worked better.

Nevertheless, I like this. It's pumping, rapid-fire stuff that gets my head bouncing.

YES

Interesting intro though sorta clunky and lo-fi.

Even up to 2:00 this song seems closed as if it has yet to open up into a real song. Lofi and muffled. That extra 33khz above the 11khz range is there for a reason, use it :)

So far, this song is basically just relying on the 'coolness' of delayed cut-freq synths.

Song still isn't going anywhere half way through. Just repeating the same sequences again and again. Minor variation mostly relying on repeating synth progressions.

Kinda expect more from sirnuts at this point.

Borderline NO.

Still is cool, but way too simple and closed to grab my acclaim.

same problems here as with the last two or three sirnuts mixes. the delay is too much. you should really really mix the sound more on the dry end. there is almost no decay.

just because you dont use loops soundfonts or anything else doesnt mean that you cant make a brutally repetitive mix, and it doesnt mean your instruments are interesting. without the middle section, this would frankly be a throwaway. but the middle section does mix it up pretty well.

but again, there is really no dynamic escalation, and the instrumentation remains the same beginning to end, as do the parts. you need to learn to add and subtract as your song progresses to make it interesting. i know dance music (trance? techno, rave? emo? i dont know. let's stick with dance.) is repetitive by nature. that doesnt mean it has to be uninteresting. Your synths are too similar for my tastes, there is no softer sound to create some contrast.

show me that you can make harmonies, that you have more tricks up your sleeve than excessive delay and EQ sweeps.

borderline NO

I take issue with the sounds in this mix, the synths in particular; they're clunky, coarse, and everywhere. The lead that DarkeSword mentions is pretty harsh when unaccompanied. Technodance really does rely on the sounds used since each is always repeated to a great degree. Too much midrange and high trebley synths, not enough bass. The pads and chorals are fresh and placed in the right spots; I'd have liked to hear more such reprieve from the spotty drums and leads.

There are breakdowns, bridges, build-ups and layer-downs, but the arrangement as a whole doesn't move much from beginning to end. The original's repetitive too, but this is even moreso. I think more composition than gee-whiz and a fuller sonic range would do this wonders.

NO

Electronica usually goes one of two ways - dependant on Melodic/Harmonic progression, or dependant on synthetic timbres interacting with each other in interesting ways. This mix seems to lie somewhere in the middle. Some parts are reminiscent of club dance music, but others are reminiscent of harder, darker genres. It's confusing. And the questionable sample and synth quality doesn't help.

Any further critique? See above reviews.

NO

-D