*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble 'Last Ray of Light'

djpretzel

Hello Everyone.

Game: Sonic Triple Trouble

Platform: Game Gear

Original Song Name: Sunset Park Zone Train (This is just what the vgz files says) It could also be just Act 3. Sorry for any confusion

Since with my last submission there was such a hard time finding the original song, i have a link to the vgz file.

Thank you all for your time.

- Sadorf

I like the sounds, and like Prot said, it's "pretty flowing," whatever that means. :wink: Although that snare drum is too acoustic for my tastes; it sounds like you have a guy sitting in the back of the room hitting the snare drum with one stick. :?

There's a little too much reverb on the percussion, I think. The cymbal hat sound is making this rolling hiss sound that's kind of annoying. Percussion doesn't really change all that much throughout the piece. Just some dropping out here and there.

I don't know. It just seems like this piece is going through the motions. I feel like I'm supposed to bounce along or feel excited by this piece, but I'm not.

NO

Dood... Sonic Underground had 3 sonics... all voiced by Jaleel White. The sheer concept makes that show awesome when I wake up at 7 to go to grad school...

...but you digress.

I like the atmosphere and the mood in the intro. Hell, you've heard my pieces. I spend more time on the intro than the entire damn piece. On an unrelated note, I agree with PoP (Prince of Persia a.k.a DarkeSword) on this one. It has this muted excitement, like it's crying out, "Jam with me, bitches! I'm Rick James" but I'm just not feeling it. I think it has something to do with the synthwork. It's just not... well... jamming, and it trails out with a hollow little feeling.

It just feels like more could have been done with the core of the piece and the end.

No

What else is there to say? There's little to no dynamic variation in the percussion, the hi-hat and tambourine samples in the beginning are lifeless, constant velocity runs. The acoustic snare sure fits Darky's hyperbolic "guy hitting snare" decription. It's totally out of place both in the context of the drum loop and the electronic timbre overall.

Default sounding samples, with default sounding cliche trance beat. There's nothing here that goes above and beyond a simple electronic arrangement. There's a lot of potential here, but the mix's flaws lie in its lack of utilization of said potential. The piano sounds nice, and the ambience is pretty sweet, but when the chorus comes in, after the snare buildup, it seems like it actually gets quieter. True, choruses do not always have to be louder, as songs like finger eleven's "Above" and Radiohead's "Karma Police" demonstrate, but for this genre and the intro's energetic buildup, it just don't work.

Fill up your mix, spend some time altering velocities on the percussion and instrumentation in general. With some more in-depth processing, synth programming, and sample selection, you'd have quite a sexy groove goin on here.

NO

-The D