Game Decisions/Recommendations

Nutritious

Hey guys, didn't know if I wanted to clog up community since this is a pretty narrow topic.

I've found that I'm much more interested in older games focused on story & gameplay, rather than newer, flasier games today. So I'm trying to make some decisions on some single player games to purchase. Was hoping for some recommendations on some not-so-expensive games (another reason I haven't been looking at newer).

Recently, I went to Target and saw both X3(The Threat, I think), and Galactic Civilizations II for $10 each. Now, I'm a big fan of the old Master of Orion games, so 4x gameplay is right up my alley. But in general, I'm looking for something with good story and fun gameplay - without a massive learning curve. I haven't played anything in either of these series, so if anyone has, I'd love some pros/cons or any insight on what to get.

Also, if there are any other games in the space-ish FPS/strategy that anyone can give opinions on, that'd be great. I already have Freelancer (though I lost the stupid thing), Freespace 1 & 2, the old XWing games up to Alliance, Master of Orion I - III (don't get 3 btw), Wing Commander I & II, & Star Control II.

tl;dr version: Galatic Civ II, X3, or a different space game?

Hey guys, didn't know if I wanted to clog up community since this is a pretty narrow topic.

I've found that I'm much more interested in older games focused on story & gameplay, rather than newer, flasier games today. So I'm trying to make some decisions on some single player games to purchase. Was hoping for some recommendations on some not-so-expensive games (another reason I haven't been looking at newer).

Recently, I went to Target and saw both X3(The Threat, I think), and Galactic Civilizations II for $10 each. Now, I'm a big fan of the old Master of Orion games, so 4x gameplay is right up my alley. But in general, I'm looking for something with good story and fun gameplay - without a massive learning curve. I haven't played anything in either of these series, so if anyone has, I'd love some pros/cons or any insight on what to get.

Also, if there are any other games in the space-ish FPS/strategy that anyone can give opinions on, that'd be great. I already have Freelancer (though I lost the stupid thing), Freespace 1 & 2, the old XWing games up to Alliance, Master of Orion I - III (don't get 3 btw), Wing Commander I & II, & Star Control II.

tl;dr version: Galatic Civ II, X3, or a different space game?

i love freelancer, and have played it several times from start to finish. i really wish a more robust version existed - one with more missions and a solid economy - that didn't either have a massive learning curve (x3 games) or an absolutely horrid storyline with vocal actors on par with star ocean 4's lobotomizing of my eardrums (rogue universe). even the mods don't really have the depth to them that i yearn for.