*NO* Lunar 'Breaking Through the Waltz'

djpretzel

Man, I love Iwadare's stuff. Let's see about this mix, eh? ^_^

Wow. You need a better piano sample. In fact, you really need some better samples altogether. Those brass samples are really whiny. A lot of these samples are kind of "meh." I feel like I'm playing a PC game from the early 90's.

The arrangement is crazy good though. Very nice interpretation of the melody, and some really awesome highs and lows.

My issue is crappy sounds vs. great arrangement. That's a tough decision to make. For me, there are parts where the piece suffers because the idea's you've presented are great, but the sounds you're using don't convey the emotion you're trying to get across. I find myself cringing at the sounds more than I am enjoying your arrangement. This sounds like you wrote the song as a .mid file, and just recorded it to waveform.

NO, but I strongly encourage you to take a look at the sounds you've used and try to fix things up. The arrangement is great, the execution is not. I want to see this piece on OCR eventually. Good luck.

Samples really aren't an issue here. I think it's passable even in this context. For me this is simply too different. Being very familiar with this tune and after hearing this mix for some months now, I still don't feel like there's anything for me to cling to. It feels like a work that is based on the original, instead of an arrangement.

Emperor has some great work that I'm looking forward to. Better luck next time.

NO

thank you for including a link to the original in your submission email. /positive reinforcement

anyways...

yikes, this is some cluttered, mechanical sequencing. it wouldn't sound so bad if the sounds were used effectively with proper balancing and attention to detail. you can't just drop notes on a piano roll and expect them to come alive by themselves. even the tempo changes sound mechanical.

i'm not sure how i feel about the interpretation, it's pretty detached from the original but i like several of the musical ideas presented. no real redeeming qualities here.

no