NEW DJ looking for setup advice...

The Biznut

I own a DJ company and take care of sound/music for weddings and what not. So far all I have had to use is PCDJ/VJ, a very simple program. So really, I haven't done much REAL Djing.

That is about to change. A coworker of mine wants me to start spinning in a club he bounces at, and he wants me to do a rave party he is trying to put together. On top of this, I am also responsible for a big Christmas Bash, and would like to actually spin for that too.

This has been a bit of a dream of mine. I am pumped for these opportunities, but I don't have any access to equipment. I have a good laptop and I have experience with Deckadance, but I don't have experience with actual tables.

SO!

What do I need to be looking at for tables?

What about software? I have never used Serato Scratch before, but I have heard lots of good things about it.

Any direction would be appreciated!

Thanks

Plan on spinning self produced tracks?

I would recommend Ableton Live! Pro (DAW) run through the M-Audio Torq Xponent. I'm bias to Ableton because when I learned how to produce live, DJ Origin showed me the ins and outs of that software, however Torq is it's own software and interface. With a laptop and this setup you should be able to do ANYTHING; from just cross fading your MP3's in your iTunes library to re-remixing your own self produced tracks just for the feel of the party night. Nothing sucks more than to buy gear, master it, only to realize one thing you can't do with your setup.

Just an idea for ya' Biznut.

http://music.hyperreal.org/dj/AVH/

What do I need to be looking at for tables?

Anything with direct drive (not belt drive).

I have a good laptop and I have experience with Deckadance, but I don't have experience with actual tables.

Better start practicing as much as possible, then. Also in terms of learning how to warm up the crowd; these people on the floor don't know you. Build up, break down, gradually develop in the time you are allowed to DJ.

Native Instruments has been crafting a new piece of software/hardware called Traktor Scratch Pro. It's all digital and works on Time Code discs and/or vinyl. Brilliant stuff. Take a look at it as it's what I have used:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-scratch-pro/

Ableton Live is good too, but I prefer it for more of a performance piece of software for triggering loops or sections of an original song. Its what I use for original tracks that I spin in which I have the stems of the track ready so I can build the song however I feel like it.

Six-to-one in the end and it's all about what you're most comfortable with.