*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'Messenger in the Key of Black'

djpretzel

Lightwarmth presents something light and warm here.

I like it and find no problems whatsoever. Could be longer and use some more uh... complexity perhaps.

I always dig stuff that constantly changes. All the time changing. Thats the high point in this mix for sure.

Doesnt sound like it was played live, but skillfully done nonetheless.

Ending could be better.

YES

--no attention paid towards dynamics + overly quantized sequencing leads to a quite mechanical sound to the mix

--rather haphazard form, a seemingly random flood of ideas

--an unfortunate lack of phrasing, expression ect.

--muffled, unconvincing piano sound

Good effort, but the sequencing is far too robotic for this to pass.

NO

I'm pretty borderline on this one. On one hand, the piano arrangement is pretty nice; like Prot said, things change and evolve throughout the whole mix.

However, I'm inclined to agree with Israfel. The piece is very mechanical sounding. Attention needs to be paid to dynamics and velocities on the piano. It comes off sounding quite mechanical and quantized.

There are good ideas here, but the execution leaves something to be desired. I'd suggest getting in contact with a piano player to play this for you. OCR has a few of them that frequent the boards, shouldn't be hard to find one that's willing.

NO, for now, but I strongly urge you to work on making this piece more organic and humanized, and then trying for a resubmit.

Technically proficient, emotionally bankrupt?

I guess that's the question I'm grappling with as I listen to this mix. And yet, I'm sure we've accepted submissions that were rife with emotion, but were technically immature. I don't see why it can't go the other way. (like my style of judging? I'M RICK JAMES BITCH!)

It gets a YES because I can hear the immense amount of work done. It is most definitely the work of an architect, and perhaps, the work of an artist.

I can see the points from both camps on this one. The arrangement obviously shows a lot of work done, but it seems like it's the score for an excellent arrangement put straight into MIDI with no dynamic work done to it. There are countless awkward moments and GMish sections, and the piano simply sounds mediocre. I like the original a lot, and in fact I do enjoy the piece here, but it needs transitions, dynamics, humanization, expression, etc etc etc. Israfel pretty much nailed it.

2:45 is just a mess. The straight eighth phrasing, with the haphazard (LOL ROFL ISRAFEL I STOLED YOUR WERD) lower voicings, create an uncomfortable chaos. Followed by the impractical light-speed solo, it really makes the whole experience feel artificial.

You've got a potential masterpiece here. Hire a pianist or spend some serious time tweaking this thing 'till it's humanoid. Till then....

NO

-D