*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Magma Dream Revival'

djpretzel

hmm..

not bad, but there are some akward little issues. The beginning is exceptionally choppy. it jumps around from idea to idea, and while this may be intentional, it's a tricky thing to pull off.

Also, the harmony in places is way off. it sounds oversimplified in most places, and simply wrong in others.

it's unfortunate, because some of the use of samples from the game in this track is very creative and interesting, especially the ending. i just wish the mix attached to it was more polished and had more depth.

NO

This seems really straightforward and a bit too simple. A lot of the chords/harmonies you're using don't seem to mesh well with the song; also, the melody and accompany sounds are much to similar, and the fact that they're played together makes the weird harmony really clash.

That key change is kinda weird too. As for the sound effects, they're boring. Show me some cool rhythmic stuff with the SFX; not just consecutive 8th notes.

Pretty average track. NO

Good ideas here - interesting usage of build-ups, effectively emotive bridge, solid trance synths. No problem there.

Some elements, however tend to drag this down. The sound effects in the bridge are very awkward. It's been done before, and better. I'm not saying that to be a dick, just to get the point across that novelty embellishments, such as Rayza's subtle yet effective sfx in his Ice Cap Remix have a limited appeal, and only if done well. The samples in this are pretty random, and i think leaving them out would fit the song's mood a bit better. But that's a matter of personal taste, no right or wrong on that one, i'd say.

There are some issues when the song drops out to a breakdown that consists of one of the synths soloing, then building back up within a short amount of time. I really jars the listener out of his/her "trance". I've found that a good way to transition into a breakdown in this kind of music is to end the phrase with a huge crash, synth bandpass sweep, Kick Drum, whatever, and let it fade out over the reemerging instrument. Helps to get the groove to cool a bit without a shock to the system. There are countless other methods to pull off such a transition.

Oh yea, and what they said, too ^

NO

-D

yay for generic trance. though this is somewhat interesting take on the original theme, the execution leaves much to be desired. this mix just sounds thin or 'light'... i thought i was listening to it too quietly but i put the volume all the way up and it still sounds weak. if you're going to do trance, do it right. this remix needs some depth to it.

ending was cool though.

no